Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  Empty
PostSubject: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Mycroft walked through the halls of the castle, a small smile on his face. He had missed the castle, but his family business came first. Now being the head of the Holmes family brought a new level of prestige to his role of Headmaster and professor position in general. With his father forcefully retired, he now took both roles, his father's old position, and his Headmaster position at Hogwarts. But at the end of the day, he went back to his desired position as potions master, one in both Salem and Hogwarts.

Looking at the room, he sighed seeing how it was not up to his expectations and remodeled everything back to it's clean and pristine look. Nodding to himself he walked back to his desk, and sat against it, sighing in relief at how great it looked.

Looking at the board, he waved his hand writing popping up saying the lesson of the day: Black Fire Potion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Victoria had heard that Professor Holmes was back to teaching, and though the professor scared her, she was looking forward to seeing him again. There was something about his teaching style that Victoria loved. Skipping through the halls, Victoria opened the door and smiled at the professor.

"Good morning, Professor Holmes. I hope you had a nice break, I missed you the first lesson." Victoria greeted, genuinely meaning that as she took her seat at the front and pulling out her books and pencil case. Once set for the lesson, the Wormwood looked up at the professor expectantly.
Back to top Go down
Gillian Arkanian
Nightshade Third Year
Nightshade Third Year
Gillian Arkanian

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 pm

If someone asked her which one of her classes she liked the most, Gillian would have to debate between charms and potions. Potions getting a bit more weight tipping the scale because it was such a logical subject, you didn't really have to trust in your unknown abilities but your intelligence and following the instructions, besides, it was so close to her common room which made it easier to get there without rush.

As soon as she entered the classroom, and saw that prof. Mycroft was leaning on the desk, everything else disappeared, she didn't even noticed that the girl from Wormwood was there. Gillian had been a bit disappointed during the first class of the year when someone else had been there to replace prof. Mycroft, and now that he was back, potions was again her favourite class.

With a gleam in her eyes and a toothy smile, she greeted the professor "Prof. Mycroft!" she said a bit more enthusiastically than she originally pretended, and blushing because of that. Gillian toned down her smile and shyly added "is really good to have you back" she said while she walked to her usual spot at the second line of desks to the right and sat down.
Back to top Go down
Jaden Taylor
Nightshade Fourth Year
Nightshade Fourth Year
Jaden Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 5:11 am

Jaden then walked into potions. She was glad Professor Holmes was back and it was because he was a good teacher even if he was a little strict. She knew Sadie liked him and Jaden liked him too. potions was something she would need if she wanted to be Head Healer and she knew Sadie had learned it too. Jaden then took a seat in the front so she could learn better. She then wonder if Brayden will take this class.
Back to top Go down
Ares Oxton
Wormwood Fourth Year
Wormwood Fourth Year
Ares Oxton

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Ares liked potions sometimes and he had heard that the real potion's Professor was back and ready to teach again. The young Wormwood walked into potions and saw familiar faces but none were his sister or Brayden amoung the class. Ares took a empty seat and waited for the Professor to begin his class. Ares grabbed his book out of his bag and waited patiently.
Back to top Go down
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Seeing the younger years enter, Mycroft forced himself to smile friendly knowing that some weren't used to his too strict teaching method in which he treated the older years in. As students entered, he noticed Victoria greeted him as usual; always the first one.

"Good morning, Professor Holmes. I hope you had a nice break, I missed you the first lesson."

Mycroft smiled at Victoria seeing that while she was getting older, she was cheerier than ever and he chuckled.

"I'm glad to be back Miss Newbury, you might be one of the first to gladly have me back"

He had finished his statement, when he noticed another student enter. The Nightshade entered and he turned to nod at her greeting only to see her blush. He was confused but nonetheless thanked her. As more students entered, he figured it was safe enough to start, and those students that came late could risk losing points.

"Welcome to potions, I'm sorry that you're graced with my face rather than your substitute, but let's face it, we're back to normal and I don't take mediocre potions. Can any of you tell me what the Black Fire potion does?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

"I'm glad to be back Miss Newbury, you might be one of the first to gladly have me back"

"First, maybe sir, but definitely not the last." Victoria replied sweetly. It wasn't in a swattish manner, she honestly meant those words. As the witch settled in for the class, flicking through her heavily annotated book, the witch turned to wave at each person who entered before turning back to the front.

When Professor Holmes began class, Victoria's hand shot up. "The Black Fire Potion allows the drinker to walk through black fire without getting harmed. A very useful potion for those trying to infiltrate dangerous places, such as Aurors." Victoria supplied, leaving room for people to add on if they wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Mycroft bit back a grin at the fact that Victoria was the first one to answer. That was how every lesson went, and it was clear that not much had changed while he was gone. He nodded her way signaling that as usual she was right.

"Very good Miss Newbury, five points to Wormwood" he said, "Miss Newbury had a lot of good points, first of all, it is a helpful potions to cross Black fire, and good for Aurors. I used to do it when I was still active and I can tell you it's useful. Can someone else tell me, what is so dangerous about Black fire?"
Back to top Go down
Gillian Arkanian
Nightshade Third Year
Nightshade Third Year
Gillian Arkanian

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 1:11 am

Not only the annoying girl got to the classroom first, and answered first, but on top of that, she also got a huge beautiful and dazzling smile from the potions professor, did that girl feel the need to have everything?.

Sighing, Gillian wrote down what the annoying girl said and listened intently as the man in front of her told them about his time with the aurors, and waited to see if he would tell more about himself. When he didn't and instead asked a question about the black fire, Gillian raised her hand; "The problem with black fire, is that it can't be fought with regular methods of fire fighting, like water, sand or foam, so it has to be dealt with, with magical means" she said, wondering if her answer was good enough. There wasn't that much literature about black fire, so she had to make a few assumptions.
Back to top Go down
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 am

As another girl spoke up, Mycroft looked over at her and looked at her attempting to answer. While not the most eloquent answer, he wasn't expecting perfection, and nodded at her response. She seemed a bit on the quiet side, but many were at this age.

"The problem with black fire, is that it can't be fought with regular methods of fire fighting, like water, sand or foam, so it has to be dealt with, with magical means"

At her unsureness, he smiled trying to comfort her, wanting her to speak up more. It looked like she waited for approval and he chuckled.

"Very good Miss Arkanian...is it? Five points to Nightshade for a creative answer." he said nodding. "Now black fire is believed to be the second hottest enchanted fire second to Fiendfyre. But yes, today we will be working on this potion and I ask you to work on your own."

1. Slice bursting mushrooms with knife, add to cauldron and stir clockwise until potion turns blue.
2. Add salamander blood to cauldron, stir anti-clockwise until potion turns green.
3. Crush Wartcap powder in pestle, add to cauldron and stir clockwise until potion turns red.

"The challenge is...that the ingredients do not say the portion, and you must rely on your books to figure it out. Usually I would ask you to do it without it and rely on memory, but I want to see just how well you know your potions book. You may begin"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 1:29 am

When Professor Holmes both gave her points and told her that she had made many good points, Victoria could feel the slight heat of a blush touch her cheeks. Not in the manner of a girly crush, Victoria had always struggled to stay composed under compliments. But she didn't draw attention to herself as the class continued.

As the task was set, surprisingly being allowed to use their books, Victoria moved to the storage cupboard to collect her ingredients. From the meticulous work she'd been doing with James for many years now, Victoria had memorised most potions and their amounts to be put in to potions.

Being quick off the mark meant Victoria had the best pick of the ingredients and she made sure to use that to her advantage.

Once back at her desk, Victoria laid out the ingredients before turning to her cauldron. Pouring in the usual base potion, Victoria set the heat on low to simmer. No point going too fast when she had many things to prepare.

Taking out the bursting mushrooms, Victoria carefully brought a knife to the small things. Thankfully they had already been disarmed, so there was never going to be any harm caused to her, but Victoria proceeded with caution none-the-less. It took the Wormwood a good five minutes to cut the mushroom in to the same sizes to the amount she'd noted in her book.

After gently pushing them in to the cauldron, Victoria took up her stirrer and began to slowly stir the potion in the clockwise direction as was mentioned in the book. Four or five circuits later and the potion was the blue that corresponded to the book. With a smile on her face, Victoria pressed on. A quick check of her book told her that she need only add the Salamander blood a drop at a time, stirring anti-clockwise each time. It was a slow process, but Victoria found it brought out better results in the end, and finally the potion turned to the green shown in her text book.

The final step of the potion was the Wartcap powder, whilst already relatively fine, the potions book stated you had to crush it. Victoria set to work on exactly that, taking out her mortar and pestle and pouring the required amount of powder in. Using the crushing motion on the powder, it took the Wormwood only a few minutes to get the powder to the required consistency.

Pinching the crushed powder, Victoria sprinkled half lightly over the top of her potion before beginning the clockwise stir. The potion began to change, though Victoria knew it would not go to the colour necessary just yet. The potion moved through to a yellow colour, signalling Victoria to add the other half in the same manner as before. Gently stirring once more, the Wormwood's potion slowly turned to the red shade required and she smiled to herself.

"I think I have it, professor. A vial at your desk?" She asked, looking up to Professor Holmes with a warm smile that came with the relief of success.
Back to top Go down
Ares Oxton
Wormwood Fourth Year
Wormwood Fourth Year
Ares Oxton

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 9:31 am

Ares thought the potion was quite tricky and he looked at his book and it was already opened to the potion they were learning. Ares really needed to be careful on this or he was going to screw it up and he would get into trouble for not being responsible with this class. This class took a lot of concentration and hardwork, there was no goofing around because this was potions and it could be dangerous. Ares grabbed mushrooms and began to slice his mushrooms before adding the right amount into the cauldron. He stirred clockwise until his potion turned blue.

When it did turn blue he went to the next step and added Salamander blood to his cauldron and stirred it anti-clockwise and watched as it went from blue to green. He loved green so it was pretty cool how it just changed. Ares grabbed his pestle and added wartcap powder and began to crush it up. When that was completed he added the freshly crushed wartcap powder to the cauldron and stirred it into his potion clockwise until the potion turned red. When it was red, he looked at the Professor.

"I think I did this correct."
Back to top Go down
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 pm

Potion: Lessons 2 (Years 1-4)

Newbury, Victoria: 20 (attendance) + 10 (participation)
Oxton, Ares: 20 (attendance)

Arkanian, Gillan: 20 + 10 (participation) = 30  (attendance)
Taylor, Jaden: 20 (attendance)

Total:

Wormwood: 30
Nightshade: 50
Belladonna: 0

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)    Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Potions, Lesson 2: (Years 1-4)
Page 1 of 1