Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  Empty
PostSubject: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 1:51 am

Today he figured that he would be giving a lecture to help the older students transfer over to the more advanced spell work. Being the last lesson of the year, he figured that the best use of their time was to create a conversation, talk about poisons and its importance and it's use in the wizarding world. Writing on the board Detecting Poisons he sat down on his desk, waiting for his students to arrive. He already had a feeling that some of them would not take kindly to actually talking and not making a potion, but he wanted to hear their opinions on the subject, show more than just potion work, but their minds and creativity.

Thus the class lacked any cauldrons, the tables clean, shining brightly with no hint of any phials had touched the surface. Today was an experimental idea, seeing if he would want to continue these kinds of lessons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 5:21 am

Finley had always been quiet in Potions. The Headmaster scared him, a lot. It wasn't so bad with the other professors, they always seemed more understanding with him as he tried to do the spells. But, there was something about Professor Holmes that unsettled the Ravenclaw. Even if he read the books one hundred times over, he was quite sure he wouldn't be able to give the Headmaster an answer, because knowledge seemed to disappear in the older man's presence.

Hurrying through the dungeons (avoiding Slytherins where he could), Finley slipped in to the Potions classroom to see an unusual set up. Looking towards the professor, Finley gave him a nervous smile before slipping in to a seat on the second row. He took out his potions textbook and a notepad and pen. Writing his name and the date on the top line, along with the title Detecting Poisons, Finley tried to relax.

"G-good morning, Professor H-Holmes." Finley managed, clearly quite frightened of the man before him. Now to wait for more people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 5:27 am

Potions. Victoria loved potions, and she really looked up to the man who taught the lesson. She was always early to lessons, but today it seemed she'd been beaten to it as she noted a Ravenclaw in the second row. It didn't matter, of course, because the more people here the better. Moving to the front of the classroom, Victoria took her usual seat at the front. "Good morning, Professor Holmes. I hope you are well?" Victoria asked, her usual passion and energy for the world in general showing through.

Noting there wasn't a cauldron on any of the desks, Victoria's eyes moved to the board, and a smile touched her lips. This, was going to be a fun lesson! Taking out her new quill she'd purchased on her last trip to Hogsmeade, Victoria wrote the title neatly with the date and underlined it, waiting for more people to turn up.
Back to top Go down
Elysia Valdis
Ravenclaw Fourth Year
Ravenclaw Fourth Year
Elysia Valdis

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 7:47 am

Odd.

It was the first word that popped into Elysia's mind when she entered the Potions classroom. The room looked clean. No phials, no cauldrons, nothing. Just.. Empty.

"Guess this means it's a discussion lesson", she muttered to herself quietly, eyes doing a quick sweep of the board as she moved to take her seat.

Poisons.

'Heh. This could be interesting.', the young Raven thought as she took out her quill and some parchment, readying herself to take notes.
Back to top Go down
Natasha Stonem
Ravenclaw Third Year
Ravenclaw Third Year
Natasha Stonem

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 9:23 am

As Natasha entered the potions classroom, she was slightly taken aback by the lack of cauldrons on the desks. The set-up was so different to what she was used to, and she had been expecting the usual, to make a potion. But then, she supposed, with poison, the teachers couldn't risk anything going wrong, there were some nasty things that could be made. She was content with a theory lesson. She took a seat and waited for class to start.
Back to top Go down
Violet Lynch
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
Violet Lynch

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 10:29 am

Violet wasn't pleased that they wouldn't be completing a potion this lesson, as gathered through the lack of cauldron's on desks. Theory lessons were, at best, unnecessary. Why devote a whole lesson to something you could read about? She took her usual seat at the back of the classroom, slinging her bag down on a seat next to her, without waiting for class to formally begin or anything, she spoke up "One way people detect poison is through taste. I'll happily provide some sir, for educational purposes," she said sweetly, that way she'd be able to make a potion at least.
Back to top Go down
Louise Grey
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Louise Grey

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 am

Louise slipped into the room with the crowd and took a desk off to one side but fairly near the front of the room, distracted for a few moments till she looked around and seeing they weren't going to be doing prep work took out a notebook and quill, just waiting patiently and quietly for the lesson to begin and ignoring the Hufflepuff that always seemed to get on her nerves. Poisons huh? This felt somewhat like old ground but she supposed no one could be too careful.
Back to top Go down
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 12:04 am

As students began to file in, Mycroft made a note to see that there were the usual students and some that lagged arriving to his class. He wasn't going to wait for everyone, thus promptly as the bell began to ring, he closed the door and figured he could start class. Before he could even begin to introduce the lesson someone began to talk.

"One way people detect poison is through taste. I'll happily provide some sir, for educational purposes,"

"Nice of you to volunteer your services Miss Lynch, I'd rather have you volunteer your taste buds than your potion skills" he replied to her snide comment.

Clapping his hands for the lesson to start, he cleared his throat and leaned back on his chair not even bothering to get up. This was theory, and he wanted to see what was behind those fishy gaze that some students gave.

"Now today we're doing theory, I know try to hold in your disappointments of groan. But I'm doing this simply because I want to see what your brain cells can come up with. Hear your voices not see you spill ingredients on the table and make some barely passable concoction. Now tell me, what makes a poison unique? If you could create a poison, what would you want to highlight, hide, would you go to a natural route? Or would you instead be creative. Come now, I want to hear, how would you poison someone?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 4:25 pm

When a fellow Hufflepuff spoke up about supplying poison, Victoria turned in her seat enough to see who was speaking. Her eyes fell on a witch that she knew in passing, and Victoria noted the information and turned to be facing the professor again. She didn't have a bad thing to say about the witch, but she got the feeling that Violet Lynch need some love in her life.

But the next question made Victoria feel a little sick.

Counter-acting poisons she would be happy to list all the different ways of doing this, but, that wasn't the question. This was focusing on hurting someone. Killing them. Closing her eyes for a moment, Victoria steadied herself because she most certainly didn't want to think about all of that.

But no one seemed to want to come forward, so very slowly, Victoria raised her hand, waiting to be called upon as she opened her eyes once more. "I would like to first point out that I would never want to poison someone, but, in the name of theoretical exploration, I have an answer." Victoria managed, her voice shaking a little because the idea was repulsive. If I were creating a poison, I wouldn't want to highlight anything about it's presence, therefore I would find a poison that is odourless, colourless, and tasteless. It's not creative, but I think I would use arsenic. Poured in to someone's drink, or dashed over their food. I would need them to ingest it. Theoretically speaking, only." She explained, never looking up from her notes as the discomfort rose.
Back to top Go down
Louise Grey
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Louise Grey

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 6:33 pm

For once Louise managed to not roll her eyes at the oddly placed Hufflepuff and listened to Victoria. It was a classic use of poison to be sure but perhaps something with a little more finesse would be appealing. "I think I'd like a poison that works on contact, something small like a hair thin needle that can be darted at the victim, the coating or perhaps an internal channel of slow acting poison would make it appear like a bug bite, or sting. And a venomous one at that, if it mimics something natural no one would be the wiser until it was too late. That and it could be used in close or long range if say blown from a dart or propelled by magic at the victim to make sure no one could claim to have witnessed you were even there. You could even leave it somewhere where the victim could come into contact with it by accident, like a chair cushion." The thought wasn't too pleasant but thinking about it in theory was interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 am

Finley didn't have the capability to speak his answer to the question the professor had asked, so he took up a piece of parchment and began to scribble his answer. Being only twelve, he knew very little about poisons. Especially coming from the Muggle world. But, he was enthusiastic to learn as much as he could from the man before him.

Undetectable poisons would be where I would start. This way nobody could trace the poison back, or even know it was a poison in the first place. Possibly use the Draught of Living Death..?

Application:

Finley sat back briefly, not sure what to write. He'd only read about the Draught of Living Death in passing, but he knew what it did.

Inject in to opponent? Or find a way to put it in the air to put them to sleep...

Honestly, Finley was just guessing he was new to this subject, and was just throwing ideas around. Hopefully it would be enough...
Back to top Go down
Violet Lynch
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
Violet Lynch

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 6:38 am

"Nice of you to volunteer your services Miss Lynch, I'd rather have you volunteer your taste buds than your potion skills"

She'd expected a retort from the Professor, but said no more as he begun the class, not in the mood for any argument.

"Now tell me, what makes a poison unique? If you could create a poison, what would you want to highlight, hide, would you go to a natural route? Or would you instead be creative. Come now, I want to hear, how would you poison someone?"

She listened as the first girl to answer, the Hufflepuff who Violet hadn't really spoken to, Victoria answered, with a notable tremble in her voice, and the assurances that she, being all sweet and good, would never, ever poison poison someone, spoke about it being undetectable. The next to answer was Grey, who would take the natural route, making it seem like a bite from some venomous animal. With no others speaking up, Vi decided to share her input.

"I'd be creative," she leant back in her chair "Make it specific to the person. Find something they like a lot, make it smell and taste like that particular thing… Kind of like how that love potion, Amortenia, how it smells like what that person loves most. Just make it completely irresistible. And depending on the person, whether I'd want to poison them slowly, or get them out of the way quickly, would determine the concentration of poison I'd give them. Although, perhaps if I did poison them slowly, without their knowledge, ideally it'd be in the way to make it target a specific organ, perhaps a kidney, and just make it look like it stopped working. Though, that'd be difficult to figure out. Perhaps then just something, like an acid, that deteriorates the body.

"So, to conclude, it would lure them to take it, without question, and target something specific, to look like an ailment of some sort," she finished her musings on the topic.
Back to top Go down
Mycroft Holmes
Unsorted
Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 pm

While it was obvious that this was not a subject that some wanted to talk about. He didn't particularly care, to be quite honest, whether or not they liked the subject. He just believed that some needed to understand that potions meant more than just following directions. It took tact, thus as the students began to answer, he signaled them to go.

The first was Miss Newbury, and as usual, she lead the discussion. Except this time she was clearly uncomfortable. Still as she spoke, her legitimization that she wouldn't create a potion was obviously a coping mechanism, so he didn't comment on it.

"Good lead Miss Newbury, five points. Next,"

Miss Grey was next and her comment brought more intrigue. A natural way to poison someone was much more advanced and more feasible, at least from a perspective of getting away with it. A hint of a smile rose on his face and he clapped.

"Very clever Miss Grey, ten points for creativity. Next."

Then Miss Lynch began. The way she thought definitely was something that he found intriguing. While annoying and full of snark, she had definitely some creativity involved and he smirked. She thought of it like a plan, framework of how it would work.

"Very good Miss Lynch, ten points for creativity. Now, I want for all of you to push your theories. I want a scroll worth of essay writing where you push for your point. If you have a new way then sell it. There is another ten points to me given if the work is complete. Now begin."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 7:17 am

"Now, I want for all of you to push your theories. I want a scroll worth of essay writing where you push for your point. If you have a new way then sell it. There is another ten points to me given if the work is complete. Now begin."

Finley took in this information and thought for a moment. A whole scroll? Hmm... Looking back at what he'd already done, the Ravenclaw wondered how he would elaborate on this. But he knew he would have to so that he could move on to the next year.

I think the real question is how you implement a poison, a poison is of course going to have it's effects, but this is only as useful as the implementation of the poison. Therefore, you would have to profile your target for a while to find out. Then, from this information you would be able to determine what they eat/drink or habits they might have that you can exploit.

Ingesting the poison would mean you would have to find a way to intercept their meals/drinks to put poison in it - unless you go for a mass killing to get to one target, though this would mean potentially being caught because lots of people falling ill to the same fate would make it suspicious.

With this in mind, I therefore wouldn't use an airborne method of poisoning, because this would again contaminate many people, leading to suspicious circumstances.

Therefore, my final answer would be to inject a poison of choosing - depending on my goal - this would likely not hurt if done discretely, and you could be away from the situation before anyone realised what you'd done. In fact, the person would likely be dead before they even realised (with the right poison) and you could be far away by then (especially if you have your apparating licence!).

The type of poison I would use personally would be a slow acting poison so that the exact point of contact would be unclear, then you could create alibis if the person was killed. I would have to use further research though, because I don't know enough potions to know which would be the best for this use.

Looking at the page, Finley worried at his lower lip. Was this going to be enough for the Headmaster? He hoped so, but honestly he really wasn't sure!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)    Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Potions- Lesson 3 (Years 1-5)
Page 1 of 1