Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Meeting the Grandparents

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Meeting the Grandparents Empty
PostSubject: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 3:24 pm

The day had arrived where Jake was going to meet Marilyn's grandparents. Jake had prepared as best he could, picking out his best suit and making sure everything looked absolutely perfect. It was something he shouldn't have bothered with, he'd realised when he'd apparated to Marilyn's flat to be told she'd picked something out for him. That, had confused him, but he'd decided not to ask her about it. Jake had spent most of the day lounging around her flat as she became increasingly more preoccupied with the whole affair that was going to come that evening.

Even when he'd followed her in to her room after growing annoyed with her constant stream of toing and froing, Jake hadn't really understood why she was getting so worked up. Mari's whole frame seemed to be tense, he'd found as he hugged her, placing delicate kisses on her shoulder and neck. His soft words hadn't helped much, either it seemed, and after luring her away from getting things ready for only an hour (Jake had never understood why women liked so long to get ready, especially when they were as beautiful as Marilyn) she hadn't wanted to relax either. Their cuddling had been cut short, making Jake let out a soft sigh of discontent as he led in her bed, watching her getting everything ready.

He hadn't been afforded the luxury of lazing around for long though, with Marilyn insisting he go and get showered now because she would need the bathroom after him. Jake had whined about being comfortable, and telling her that he could shower once she was done. But the look on the witch's features had insisted that he went now, so he did. Honestly, it had only been two letters, Jake really didn't understand one, why her grandparents were so interested in meeting him, and two, why Mari was so worried about him meeting them.

After entering the bathroom, Jake noted how everything he would need had been lined out for him. A suit bag hung from the back of the door, a razor, deodorant, aftershave and his usual shower gel stood ready for him to use, and his toothbrush was already in place along with a bottle of mouthwash. It almost seemed like the witch expected him to forget something. But the one that most amused him was the addition of nail clippers and a nail brush. Looking down at his hands, Jake wondered whether that was a hint, or an optional extra.

He ignored that though, moving to the shower with his bottle of shower gel and making sure to thoroughly wash himself from head to foot, taking extra care to wash all the suds away before he pulled out a towel and dried himself. It would take him a whole hour to complete the process, using everything Marilyn had set out to make sure she didn't get more tense than she already was. After cleanly shaving (without cutting himself for a change) Jake moved to the bagged clothes and looked at the contents. His eyes went a little larger than normal as he took it in, wondering why Marilyn thought...

A small smile touched his lips as he noted that not even his socks and boxers were being saved from her choice. Jet black socks and grey boxers accompanied her choice. He'd pulled those on, followed by the trousers before pausing, beneath those was a small watch, in what metal the young man wasn't sure. Jake was frowning now, disliking how much Marilyn had spent on him but knowing that she had made a choice. Checking the time, he noted it was much too early for a shirt, he'd crease it before they left, so he lifted the rest from the back of the door and moved through to Marilyn's room.

"You know you didn't need to go to all this trouble?" Jake asked, motioning to the new clothes. Of course, he appreciated it, but he simply couldn't get his head around it. This was his Mari, why would they need to look so extravagant? Surely her grandparents weren't expecting some... prince of England, were they? Because that's all Jake could think of with the excessively smart suit.

Jake's Attire
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 4:10 pm

When Marilyn had recieved the first letter only a week after Abuelo had arrived she'd almost expected it, but had opted to ignore it. The second letter was more a demand and Gwen threatened to send a howler or patronus if necessary so Marilyn had given in, knowing her grandmother always got what she wanted. It wasn't like Marilyn didn't want Jake to meet them...she just...didn't want them to scare him off.

She hadn't told him that she was one of those Caldwells. That she was filthy rich and raised in one of the old pureblood families, consisting of two of the most (in)famous and dangerous individuals in the magical world. Despite his career choice Marilyn highly doubted Jake was often in a room with three people that could kill him in inumerable ways without leaving any evidence and simply using their surroundings.

It was a terrifying thought for anyone, really.
And not only was that going to be a shocker, Marilyn worried that he would feel vastly uncomfortable with their customs. Such as the fact that they all did their best when gathering like they were to look...more divine than human.

Too jittery that day to pay Jake any real attention bar that one hour (and immedietly afterwards she'd set to worrying again) she'd already had him a suit tailored and designed (not that she'd tell him that, he was already skeptical) and laid out everything he would need to use and hoping he wouldn't take offence. To Marilyn, Jake was pretty much as imperfectly perfect as one could be and she adored him the way he was.

But this was simply not always that easy with her grandparents.

Waiting for him to get out of the bathroom Marilyn made sure she had absolutely everything in her tiny makeup bag (magically expanded inside) and bit her lip before stopping herself, not allowing herself to make her lips swell.

"You know you didn't need to go to all this trouble?"
His voice ripped her out of her head and Mari walked past him to the bathroom, tense as a bow and arrow, only calling over her shoulder before closing the door,
"I did. Just trust me."

With a swipe of her wand everything he'd used flew back into the tiny kit that she'd left open in the corner and hers replaced it. After showering to the point that a shower could do no more she dried and set about doing her hair and fastening the slim golden chains in her now silky and lightly waved hair. Her skin from her face all down her upper chest and arms soon took on a luminous golden shimmer, even accenting her scars, her eyes seeming larger from the cat-eye and mascara's eyelashes that were surrounded by another, more subtle golden shimmer.

Her nails were covered by sharpened metal that looked like gold but was thicker, as lethal as they were beautiful. She carefully applied a pale lipstick and then it was time for her dress.
It was beautiful, Gwen had sent it over when Jake wasn't there. And it certainly helped achieve a look that vaguely suggested she was some divine creature. But since it was Marilyn it was a subtle suggestion. Well, subtle in comparison to other purebloods. (Here Marilyn always liked to point out to her grandparents that they didn't even know if she was a pureblood.)

Taking a deep breath she looked in the mirror and slipped on her heels. Alright. Time to give Jake shock number two of what was going to be a long, long evening.
With that thought she stepped out into the bedroom where Jake laid on her bed.

(Mari's outfit)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 4:42 pm

"I did. Just trust me."

Jake merely shook his head at her words, an amused smile playing on his lips as she left the room. How anyone could get so worked up was beyond him. His mind wandered to his own grandparents, knowing that they would not make him fear bringing Marilyn to meet them. They were sweet, down to earth people, and though his grandma had her moments she was happy when he was, which was always nice.

Jake simply decided not to worry, Mari was doing that enough for him that evening.

After settling down on Mari's bed, Jake had let his eyes close, and he was dozing quietly when he heard the bathroom door open. He'd just about managed to open his eyes and stop them from being slightly blurry when Marilyn walked in to the room. At first, Jake could not believe his eyes. The figure of the woman stood before him was most certainly Marilyn's but... It didn't register to Jake that his mouth had fallen open slightly at the sight before him. Marilyn looked beautiful, so very beautiful. But it was also a scary kind of beautiful, a beautiful that was much too perfect. His lips moved wordlessly as he tried to find something to say, but Jake was completely and utterly lost for words.

Instead, he moved to sitting up, trying once again to take in the divine beauty before him. If she'd uttered a word to him since coming back, Jake simply wouldn't have known. It was a good couple of minutes before Jake found his voice, and even then it wasn't completely normal. "Y-you look... beautiful... really beautiful..." He managed because he could not deny that fact. Given a choice, he'd pick Marilyn in his shirt beautiful, not this, but that didn't mean he couldn't appreciate the effort she'd made.

Pulling his eyes away from Marilyn, Jake moved to finish getting ready, carefully pulling his shirt on and locating the cufflinks and tie. Waistcoats were something Jake almost always avoided in suits, due to the fact they were restricting. But Jake pulled it on, fastening it in to place and casting glances back at Mari, trying to get used to the look which was beginning to unnerve him. This was most certainly something bigger than he'd anticipated, he realised much too late.

Checking himself in the mirror, Jake looked back to the witch to see what she thought. "I really don't like waistcoats. I look silly." He commented with a small frown, shaking his head as he pulled on the jacket and fastened the buttons. Overdressed did not even begin to cover how Jake felt in that moment. But if this was what Marilyn wanted, he wouldn't say a word about it.

"Do I look okay?" Jake asked as he finished the look, hoping there was nothing else because he really was out of his comfort zone now. What with Mari uptight, looking like a goddess out of a Greek history book and him looking silly this was putting him on edge. Hopefully this would be over quickly, and he could reclaim the Mari that he knew and not... the one before him.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:05 pm

When absolute silence and a gaping Jake met her in her room she nearly turned on her heel and fled, which was ridiculous for numerous reasons, one being this was her flat. But none of the reasons were occuring to her, she was simply frozen.

"Y-you look... beautiful... really beautiful..."

Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no. Marilyn thought, he was unnerved. And unnerved was only steps away from afraid. Then he'd decide that was enough, fun whilst it lasted but this? This was too weird, too...crazy. Her thoughts were probably written on her face, but she'd long since turned away, nodding her thanks to his words, beckoning to Jagger who came up to her carefully, knowing not to touch her dress, and staying very still beside her to let her ever so carefully pet the top of his head, making sure her nails didn't touch him.

Jake continued to get ready but Marilyn could feel his gaze on her as she gathered her clutch, only looking up when he spoke about looking silly to which she didn't reply until he asked how he looked. Usually she'd approach him, hold his hand and kiss his neck whilst whispering reassurance. But he was unnerved by her. And she didn't want to make it worse by touching him.

So she simply spoke softly from a safe distance, her clawed hands now wringing each other abstenmindedly, "You look amazing, but you always look amazing."

A purebloods appearance at official gathering was often selected to reflect their personality and Marilyns was no different. Her lethal abilities were simply more visible now than otherwise. In a way pureblood customs were far more brutal and animalistic than they'd admit, one being the way they made themselves appear. Her family went for divine and deadly. Because that was what they were.

"It's time to go." she reminded him, still tenative and without touching him, not even meeting his gaze until he was stood next to her. Trying to force herself to relax even just a notch she looked up at him and sighed deeply.

"I'm sorry, I'm just...I don't think I can explain it, you'll just have to see them to understand. And I usually look worse," She attempted a half smile, "My eyes are normally golden as well." She added before apparating them to stand in front of...well, Caldwell Place.

Meeting the Grandparents Lypiat10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:28 pm

The appearance of Jagger was not missed by Jake. Whilst Jagger was always around in some context of the word, Jake often forgot he was there. So when the bear of a dog joined them, it could only mean something was wrong with Mari. It took a moment for Jake to go over what he'd said, trying to work out if he'd said something wrong. Jake stayed quiet throughout, wondering what was causing the distance. He so badly wanted her to move over to him, fuss over something being out of place, even if it wasn't. But Marilyn didn't seem to want to play to that game.

"You look amazing, but you always look amazing."

A small smile touched Jake's lips but he shook his head at her words. He didn't always look amazing. He always looked himself, comfortable in himself, relaxed. Now, he didn't look himself, and it showed so much in his posture that he was uncomfortable. The distance remained though, that made the smile fade once more, his mind still trying to catch up with everything that was happening.

When she reminded him that it was time to go, Jake moved to her side, his eyes slightly downcast as he thought through what was coming. What did he know of her grandparents? Little and less. What did they know of him? Probably nothing, he wasn't an overly exciting person, not even when he'd been a Quidditch star. Everything he'd done had been to the book. And everything he'd achieved in the short modelling career he'd taken up had been child friendly for the most part, teenager friendly for the rest. There was nothing he was embarrassed about doing that could get the witch beside him like this, but it seemed whatever was troubling her was not going to be explained.

"I'm sorry, I'm just...I don't think I can explain it, you'll just have to see them to understand. And I usually look worse," She attempted a half smile, "My eyes are normally golden as well."

The explanation was meant to relax him, Jake was completely aware of that, but no amount of soft jokes like that were going to make a difference when the witch beside him wouldn't relax. Jake really wanted to shake some sense in to her. To ask her why se was being like this, but for the life of him he couldn't bring himself to because the answer was something he wasn't sure he was ready for. However, all notion of asking was taken from him as they apparated to Merlin only knew where. As they landed on the path, Jake looked up at the building before him, and before he even knew what was happening a single word left his lips.

"Shit."

Jake's eyes went round with horror as he realised the filter between his brain and his mouth had not functioned in that moment. Now... now he was beginning to understand why Marilyn was uptight. His heart was pounding in his chest and his mouth seemed to have dried in a matter of seconds. Fear of the unknown straightened his posture as they crossed the courtyard towards the front door of the... well, it wasn't a house, that was for sure. Jake remained silent, not trusting himself to speak but ultimately not knowing what to say. His eyes scanned the area around them, taking it in in silent (but fearful) awe.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:49 pm

"Shit."

Marilyn stiffened beside him and opened her mouth but closed it again. What could she say? 'Oh by the way, forgot to mention, but my Grandparents are The Caldwells- Yes those. Uh huh. The Auror and Hunter couple.' No. That was...just out of the question. He'd make the connection as soon as he entered the home.

But she could give him some advice before knocking. "Jake...don't touch anything. There's a lot of...Dark items. Left over from other generations or...trophies...Just, trust me and don't touch anything." Mari whispered before she gave herself a mental push, knowing she'd better gather herself before the evening began.

"They're going to love you, I promise, but they make...well they make a very different first impression. They're just sizing you up- I mean-" Mari was close to stammerring now that they were nearing the door, unsure of what to tell and what to leave and panicing as a result.

CALDWELL. Her inner voice, that sounded suspiciously like Clement, gave her a firm mental shake. 'Snap out of it. You're making it worse. Just relax. Act as you usually would. Jake will follow suit.' ....That was actually quite good advice, Mari realised, also realising that she could never, ever let Jake know that her mentor seemed to be her inner voice, he'd never let her live that down.

"I promise you'll be okay." she turned to him, her voice still quiet but less shaky, "I'm- I'm sorry. For being so nervous. I shouldn't be," 'I'm not the one walking unarmed into a family of assasins' "You're just...You're important to me. And they're my family. I don't want them to scare you off." 'I don't want to scare you off.' The witch looked up at him through worried eyes, knowing that in the next few minutes she'd have to knock on that door and the evening would begin. But before that she needed this...this moment with Jake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 am

"Jake...don't touch anything. There's a lot of...Dark items. Left over from other generations or...trophies...Just, trust me and don't touch anything."

Don't touch anything... Jake's features turned in to a frown at those words. Why would the grandparents of an aspiring Auror have a house filled with Dark items? Why had she not told them to get rid of them? Of course, Jake knew that some families collected such things, and her words confirmed that, but he didn't understand...

As Marilyn told him that they were going to love him, Jake was uncertain as to why she still seemed so worried if that was the case. Jake was not relaxing, with Marilyn like this, the notion of things potentially harming him and the fear of the unknown, it was starting to get overwhelming. Perhaps he could play the mute, yes they would think him stupid, but at least he couldn't do anything wrong, could he?

He shook his head, Marilyn needed him in that moment, it was not the time for cowardice.

"I promise you'll be okay."

"I'll be fine." Jake replied in a soft whisper, looking to see her finally looking at him. "The worst they can do is kill me!" He teased lightly, leaning down and pressing a light kiss on her lips, careful not to mess up the witch's make up. Of course, Jake didn't know that his words were probably going to make the situation a hell of a lot worse, but he didn't see the issue in the words that had been spoken. Instead, he reached out and knocked on the door, stopping any more stalling on the witch's behalf. His hand fell back to his side, before gently reaching out to take Marilyn's hand careful not to touch her nails.

Perhaps even a short amount of comfort would be enough to make her relax, he hoped.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 10:27 am

"The worst they can do is kill me"
Marilyns eyes widened slightly and she decided against saying anything in regards to that, and kissed him back carefully. "They're just...going to test you. Probably." she added quickly before he knocked, carefully holding his hand.

The doors swung open to reveal an aged house elf wearing a black silk pillowcase, bat-like ears perking at the sight of them, "Young Miss Marilyn! Very nice to see Miss again- and Miss Marilyns guest! Please come in, Master and Madam are in the parlour"

"Thank you, Tippy," Marilyn smiled at the elf fondly, motioning at Jake to follow her. The halls were decorated with old 'trophies', mysterious chests and countless awards, amongst others Gwens Order of Merlin 2nd class, the plaque listing explicitly what she recieved it for. For Evan there were just as many awards and announcements. "Dark Wizarding family Caldwells heir turned successful Hit Wizard..."

Mari led him down the winding halls slowly, her heels clacking on the marble floor.
The doors to the parlour were open and she entered with a small smile. "Grandmama," Marilyn greeted fondly to a woman who stood upon seeing them.  If marilyn was dripping gold Gwen was blood. Her auburn hair reached her shoulders where her blood red dress began, the dress seamless on her skin as if she were a war goddess, permanently tinted by the blood of her victims. Poised and elegant, but terrifyingly so. Then she broke the appear somewhat,  as she smiled warmly greeting her granddaughter "Lynnie! My Lynnie you look stunning, I told you the scars would suit you with the gold dust." She kissed her scarred cheek first and Marilyn blushed, still genuinly smiling, used to Gwens blunt manner.

"And you, Jake Newbury, so we finally," Gwen looked at Mari pointedly, "Meet." She stood before him, not taking his hand but simply looking him up and down, as if she could see to his very being in one look. Her gaze was interrupted as Jamie and Evan entered, the elder walking taller than his son, with an assumed importance that exuded from him. Both men were taller than Jake Mari noticed, but only Jamie winked at Jake in greeting. Evan regarded him silently.

Marilyn broke the silence by asking where Felipe was to which Gwen answered that he was getting ready and then she asked what everyone wanted for drinks. Evan and Jamie took a scotch, Gwen a martini and Mari simply said champagne, taking Jakes hand subtly to support him in the long awkward moments. Evan still hadnt spoken to Jake, only kissing Mari's cheek in greeting.

"So this is Lynnies friend, Jake?"

"Boyfriend" "lover" Marilyn and Jamie spoke at once quickly followed by Mari paling and snapping at Jamie in french, who simply chuckled and raised his eyebrows suggestively. Evan looked continuously grim, lifting his chin in a vague nod.

Marilyn considered if it was too late to hex Jamie.  Probably not...

(Jamie)
http://www.polyvore.com/meet...gwen_caldwell/set?id=132874563&lid=3897948
(Evan)

Last edited by Mari Caldwell on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 12:21 pm

"They're just...going to test you. Probably."

Jake nodded to show he understood just before the door opened. He plastered a smile on to his face to meet her grandparents, but it wasn't a person who met them. Brief confusion touched Jake's features until a squeaky voice met his ears and he looked down to see a House-Elf. Oh no...

"Young Miss Marilyn! Very nice to see Miss again- and Miss Marilyn's guest! Please come in, master and madam are in the parlour"

Master and madam? Jake didn't know what to make of that. Apart from the glaring obvious assumption that hadn't come to mind. The Caldwells. Jake might not know much about English Purebloods, hell he didn't know anything about American Purebloods, but the Auror training corps didn't let you forget some of the biggest names that had been in office. Casting a sideways glance at Marilyn, Jake tried to calm down, but his heart was already pounding in his ears.

Stepping through the doors didn't help much either. Jake knew it was rude to stare, but as they stepped in to the room filled with such... he could only shake his head marginally in disbelief. The one part that caught his eye though was the Order of Merlin award. Second class, but highly remarkable. Probably for the better, Jake didn't manage to catch exactly what Mari's grandmother had been awarded it for. Whatever room they just stepped in to though seemed to be a hall of fame that was starting to make Jake feel very uncomfortable.

Jake barely registered that they'd arrived at the destination they were supposed to be at, closing his mouth almost instantly when he heard Marilyn address someone. Best not to get caught gawking, he supposed as his eyes moved to the person in question. Like Marilyn the woman looked beyond beautiful, beyond human in fact, and for once in his life Jake was glad he wasn't addressed first. It took the interaction between Marilyn and her grandmother to come back from the slightly worried look that held his features for a moment, meaning he completely missed the use of the name 'Lynnie' in that moment.

"And you, Jake Newbury, so we finally," Gwen looked at Mari pointedly, "Meet."

"It's..." Jake started, trying to work out how he greeted a woman of such... power? Was that the right word? "Very nice to meet you, Mrs Caldwell." He settled for, giving the witch a small, hopeful smile. Thankfully, or on later reflection perhaps not, the attention was taken away from him when other people entered the room. Turning slightly Jake saw one familiar face and the other he assumed to be Marilyn's grandfather. The wink from Jamie was probably just as unsettling, but Mr Caldwell was more so.

"Good evening, sir." Jake greeted the older man, not moving for the handshake because it seemed that wasn't on offer. Merlin this was so much more complicated than he'd been expecting. "Nice to see you again, Jamie." He added to the younger man, though honestly he wasn't even sure if he meant that in that moment.

Thankfully, Marilyn pulled the attention away from him a moment later, asking about Felipe. Great, that was all he needed, one more person to make him feel ridiculously out of place. The offer of drinks, Jake politely declined, knowing he most certainly could not hold a glass still, he was most certainly not going to have a glass of something and end up spilling it due to the shaking of his hands right now. Well, the shaking of his whole body, he could only hope that nobody noticed that in that moment.

"So this is Lynnies friend, Jake?"

The notion of Marilyn having another nickname threw Jake for a moment, only catching on when the oldest Caldwell looked to him. She'd never mentioned that nickname, but he decided to try and introduce himself, something that was stolen from him a moment later.

"Boyfriend."

"Lover."

That was the second point that evening that he was glad he didn't have a drink as Jamie spoke that word. Had Marilyn..? Did she say..? Jake shook himself inwardly, not daring to think about what she may or may not have said at any point, because honestly that was scarier. "We've been dating for a few months." Jake supplied, though he didn't think it would help her grandfather much in digesting the information. After that, he remained quietly, looking between Marilyn's grandparents and then to Jamie uncertainly before looking sideways at Marilyn.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Marilyn was quite possibly going to die in this very room. Which, given the amount of concealed weapons in the room, was in itself not that unlikely. But she wasn't going to die from those, no. Jamie was going to have her die of embarrassment by the end of the night. Tipping back her martini when all eyes were on Jake she took a sly, deep breath.

"We've been dating for a few months."

"He's also training to be an Auror now, Granddad." Mari added in a light and conversational tone. In hindsight, saying that to a famous 'ex'-Auror was perhaps not the wisest move. "And he teaches Defense against Dark Arts." the witch added with a look at Jamie who was poised to drop a sharp remark but she let her claws flash at him behind Jake's back and he settled for a smirk.

"An Auror for the British Ministry, I assume.Which school, then?"
Evans baritone answered in an almost disinterested tone, "You were a quidditch player." He took a drink from his scotch and looked over at Jamie who straightened his posture at the look.

Marilyn was about to say something else when Tippy appeared announcing Felipe, who didn't wait for the announcement to finish and grumbled under his breath about 'pompous....unnecessary' but Marilyn's face lit up at the sight of him and she greeted him with a kiss to the cheek and his wrinkled face took on a surprisingly soft and warm grin as he hugged her gently. "You look divina, mi corazĂłn."

Mari thanked him and Felipe turned to Jake and shook his hand with a gruff '"Boy." at which Jamie snorted into his drink. Serenely Gwen smiled, "Dinner will be ready in fifteen minutes, let's move this to the Dining room. But Lynnie dear, perhaps your guest would like a small tour. We'll see you soon." Marilyn smiled and nodded and Gwen left, her husband wordlessly followed her, the smallest smirk on his lips. Felipe cuffed Jamie around the head as they left, leaving Jake and Marilyn in the dark parlour.

Marilyn set down her glass and turned back to Jake, she'd felt him shaking ever so slightly and so she set her hands carefully on his shoulders and looked up at him. The familiar atmosphere of having her family around had, despite circumstances, caused her neves to dial down enough that she was more in control of herself. She'd seen them do this so many times before...

"Jake...are you alright?" The witch asked softly, her eyes at level with his shoulders, not wanting to look directly at him in case he didn't want her to, "They're testing how much you can take, it's- it's how they weed out the weak, as they put it. They do this all the time, they think it's funny." Marilyn bit her lip slightly, "I swear they're not bad people, you just need to stick this out, please? For me?" she murmured, kissing his cheek.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Jake nodded slightly as Marilyn explained what he did for a living. But what she said didn't seem to impress her grandfather. It was a stark contrast from his own grandparents who had been thoroughly impressed with what he'd decided to do, but then not everyone was the same.

"An Auror for the British Ministry, I assume.Which school, then?"

"I work between the British and American Ministries actually, sir." Jake replied, softly to the question. "Depending on who needs me more at the time is where I work, which had been the British Ministry mostly. And I went to Salem with Marilyn, a year above her though."

"You were a Quidditch player."

"I was, yes." Jake replied uncertainly. "I played for the Moose Jaw Meteorites for three years. We won the league every year, and I won the America's Cup with the U.S." It was only in that moment that Jake realised he'd never told anyone that openly, most people knew. It sounded like he was trying to show off, but he really wasn't. Nine times out of ten, Jake would play down his achievements, but today... He just thought Evan wanted to know more, so he'd supplied what he could and hoped that it was enough.

Thankfully, the attention was taken away from Jake as Felipe entered the room. Since their first meeting, Jake had only seen the older man when one of them was leaving Marilyn's flat. Which suited Jake because he didn't do well under scrutiny of such figures, as this whole evening was showing quite clearly. But, Felipe at least shook his hand which made it a little easier to follow.

"Boy."

The notion of being called boy again was not a welcome one to Jake. But he forced a smile on to his lips. "Good evening, sir." He replied, trying not to be too bothered, but it seemed his ego would allow many things, but not being talked down to in such a manner.

When dinner was announced, Jake readied himself to move, but it seemed that Marilyn and he were not going to be leaving just yet. Jake watched the other four leave the room.

"Jake...are you alright?"

"Your grandparents are the Caldwells." Jake replied in a soft whisper, not reacting to the fact she was holding on to him more firmly now. Looking down at the witch as she tried to explain he shook his head. "You could have told me, Marilyn!" He whispered, he wasn't mad, he couldn't be mad at her if he tried. It simply would have helped. A lot. To have some grasp on what was going on before he got here.

"I swear they're not bad people, you just need to stick this out, please? For me?"

No verbal answer came from Jake as she asked that question. His hand, despite the shaking, moved beneath her chin and pressed it up. A small smile touched his lips as he leant down and oh so softly kissed her. It was never a question of him not doing this for her, surely she had to know that? Merlin, this was on par with walking in to a minefield blindfolded, relying solely on her directions to keep him safe. It was terrifying, but he would do it if she asked him to.

"You don't need to ask." Jake mumbled against her lips, holding her to him so very lightly in case her grandparents came back. Leaning down next to her ear, Jake lowered his voice still further. "I could really use the toilet though." He admitted sheepishly, there was absolutely no way he could go back in a room with so many people right now.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 2:58 pm

The only time Evans expression changed was when Jake said 'Salem'. Suddenly the atmosphere became tense and the eldest Caldwells' jaw clenched slightly and even Jamie stiffened. Only Felipe took on a softer reaction, slight sadness touching his eyes whilst Gwen gripped her glass a little tighter.

No one said anything and Marilyn was hit with a mixture of shame and guilt that she quickly tried to push down again, because she knew her grandparents would notice. And they did, instantly forcing themselves to put on a more relaxed manner before leaving.

"Your grandparents are the Caldwells."

"...Yes I believe we'd established that." Marilyn remarked dryly out of instinct before he continued and she looked a bit sheepish. "I didn't know what to say really. 'Oh Jake, by the way, my family consists of various assasins.' Somehow I didn't think that would come across very well. I'm sorry. I really am." She let him tip up her chin and kissed him back, breathing another apology against his lips.

"You don't need to ask."
Marilyn sighed and let herself relaxed in his light embrace, closing her eyes, whispering her thanks.

At his request she snapped her fingers and Tippy appeared. Marilyn bent down to take the small elf's hand gingerly and hold it like she usually did when she was nervous or upset in the house, or when she was about to do something that she needed courage for. "Tippy, can you please escort Jake to the guest bathroom, the one on the first floor, please?" Tippy grinned up at her and nodded eagerly, patting Mari's hand gently and then toddling over to Jake, "Please follow me, Sir, Miss Lynnie has told such nice things..." Tippy's voice faded as they left and Mari sighed, shaking her head fondly before taking a deep breath.

She was a Caldwell. Divine and Deadly. They weren't the only ones who knew to command a room even if the room included Gwen and Evan Caldwell.
Head high and expression stoic and serene she walked to the sitting room she knew they'd be waiting in. Evan and Gwen were speaking in hushed tones whilst Jamie told Felipe a joke but the laughter died on his lips at her expression.

"Aww come on, Darling, it's all in good fun, you remember what happened to Rissa-"

Marilyn cut him off by simply raising her hand.
"And if I remember correctly you didn't speak to Grandma for a week afterwards. Now all of you listen to me. I know this family in and out, I've seen you do this, I've played my part before. I'm not saying he can't handle it, because he can. And he would take all of this just for my happiness but he does not have to prove himself to you. Without him none of you would have me right now."

A stunned silence overtook the room until Gwen, deadly calm, replied, "Lynnie. What on earth are you talking about?"
"He was the one who basically took charge in my rehabilitation. He made me eat. He helped me apply in the Ministry, he encouraged me to return to the world after I'd already given it up. You two saw me after Mum gave up." Felipe winced as did Jamie but the Caldwells remained dangerously silent.

"He got me out of that. So you all owe him. He means...he means so much to me. And I know you all love me, so by all means continue your game, but keepp that in mind. " Her tone was never angry or disrespectful, true to the way she was raised she remained quiet and soft spoken, but her words sat and she knew it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Jake ignored the witch's sarcasm when it first made an appearance, mostly because they were both running high in regards to their stress levels.

"I didn't know what to say really. 'Oh Jake, by the way, my family consists of various assassins.' Somehow I didn't think that would come across very well. I'm sorry. I really am."

Jake shook his head at her. "Don't apologise. It's... fine." He told the witch softly, because it was, this was just a lot to come to terms with in a very short time. Especially seeing as Jake was quite sure that her grandfather didn't like him in the slightest. Which made all of this so much harder than before.

The snap of her fingers and then a crack of apparition later made Jake jump slightly, forgetting about the amusing little creatures that appeared when you did that. Tippy, the house elf from before stood before them and Mari explained that Jake needed the toilet. Slightly embarrassing, he chastised in his head, but didn't say out loud, before the elf started walking off. "I'll be right back." Jake told the witch, hurrying after the small creature who began to talk almost instantly.

"Please follow me, Sir, Miss Lynnie has told such nice things..."

"Nice things?"

"Oh yes, sir. Miss Lynnie always talks about her gratitude towards you and everything you did for her." The elf explained, making Jake frown slightly.

"I didn't..."

"Miss Lynnie has said that if you hadn't done all you did, she wouldn't be half the person she is today, sir. Miss Lynnie is thankful."

As if Jake wasn't feeling out of place enough, he now felt... Like he was being hero'd unnecessarily. "I was just being a good friend." Jake replied softly to the elf, trying to correct it's thoughts to something more... realistic.

"But you weren't friends with Miss Lynnie before then, sir. The bathroom for you, sir. Tippy will wait here to take you back, sir."

Jake was now completely unsure on what was going on. This was a really bad nightmare, he decided as he slipped in to the bathroom. Jake didn't even take in the fact a bathroom could be so huge. He just went with it now, surprise was waning as he tried to calm down, nothing was unexpected. In fact, if anything was less than mind-blowing he would start to see the flaw in the whole thing. The only thing less than special in the house was him, and it was showing.

Jake didn't spend long in the bathroom, relieving his bladder and carefully washing his hands in the fear they might know if he missed the tiniest part of skin. He added a soft splash of water to his face looking in to the mirror and telling himself to get a grip. It took him only a couple more moments to dry himself before stepping out in to the corridor. Tippy set off almost instantly down the stairs, telling him to follow her. Thankfully, she didn't speak further than that as they moved downstairs back the way they'd came.

Only this time they went a little further.

Jake could hear voices, but nothing coherent as they walked through the parlour and by the time they stepped through in to the next room, it had stopped. Jake smiled shyly at the group, figuring they either knew he was coming back, or that they'd been talking about him and quickly stopped. Get it together, Newbury. He chastised himself for being so worrisome.

"Sorry about that." He apologised to the group at large who seemed to all get to their feet the moment he entered. Not unnerving in the slightest, Jake thought as they moved to the door at the other end of the room. Jake followed after Marilyn, trying to establish what he'd just missed but not having a clue. The dining room was probably the most extravagant room he'd been in to so far, and Jake looked around momentarily as he followed Mari to the middle of the table. He held her chair out for her, tucking it in behind her gently before he took his own seat beside her, glad that he'd at least have that comfort.

Silence seemed to exhume from everyone, so Jake merely took the time to take in the fine decorations on the table. So expertly placed and shined to the highest degree. Everything seemed so pristine that Jake doubted even his mom could come up with something so immaculate. But at least in this silence he had space to breath and not fear someone trying to get a rise out of him.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Thankfully, before anyone else could speak Jake came back, blissfully unaware, though that was probably not how he'd describe himself in that moment. Or in that evening, for that matter.

Marilyn slipped her hand into his gingerly as they walked out to the dining room and taking her seat, kissing Jake on the cheek for pulling it out for her, glad that he was near herso she could try to both calm him and let herself be calmed by him.

"Well, Dinner is served!" Gwen announced and four house elves came out with the first course; a miso soup in a bowl about the size of Jake's fist. The next course would be the salad, then a small salmon cut over asparagus, then veal, followed by a small pudding and then an assortment of cheese, nuts and wine. A six course meal by all standards, but one may notice that the portions of each were smaller than a half-portion.

This had one reason that made Marilyn swallow hard at first. Her family knew that eating was very difficult for her and that she could only handle small portions, true she was getting better at it, but it wasn't much still.
Luckily she didn't have all too long to dwell, because Gwen turned the attention on her,
"Lynnie, how are your classes going? We saw Monsieur Clement is your instructor, fine family. Do you enjoy his classes?"

Mari swallowed a spoonful of soup and nodded, "Yes, he's very competant," she smiled, "It's great to have someone training you who really knows what he's doing. He's strict, but fair." She ignored the look Jake gave her at her words but Jamie noticed and piped in with a "Someone's a teachers pet..."
"Silence, cabrĂłn, Maritza is good at her lessons, she always has been. You make us very proud," then turning to Jake, "Marilyn is the apple of everyone's eyes here. Even Jamie, when he's smart enough to open them." Felipe's words were fond but there was an underleying severity to them, as if to make sure he understood how much would be at stake for Jake if he hurt her.

A light conversation spread over the table, Gwen and Felipe carrying most of it over Marilyn's training and lessons, Jake's training and the auror business in general. Marilyn and Felipe spoke about varying the alloys for the cuffs she was still working on whilst Jamie started talking about quidditch with Jake.

They went through three courses with minimum damage but then Evan decided to join the conversation with "So, Jacob," Marilyn grimaced, "What are you intentions towards our Marilyn?"
"Granddad-"
"No, Marilyn, I can ask him. If he doesn't have an answer, then he doesn't have an answer."

"We haven't even talked about that, can you please not-" But Marilyn was cut silent by a look from her grandfather and even Gwen didn't say anything, only sending her a sympathetic smile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 5:14 pm

As the announcement of dinner was stated, Jake waited for his food to be served. He wasn't unnerved by the notion of there being more than one course, he was expecting it. But he didn't remember portions being so small. He didn't comment though, waiting for someone to tuck in so that he could follow suit. He only half filled his spoon to counteract the shaking that was still visible in that moment.

The conversation moved to Mari's classes, and Jake settled for the back seat, only giving Marilyn a slight glance as she spoke of the man he'd now met. Though unlike Jamie, he didn't make the mistake of openly commenting on her like for the Frenchman. Though, a teacher's pet she most definitely was.

Felipe's words that followed Jamie's outburst told Jake exactly what was trying to be explained. Don't hurt her. "You can rest assured that Marilyn is seen in much the same way by myself, sir." Jake replied, looking the man in the eye to show he meant it. He was growing brave, but that was only because he knew that he would rather get hurt himself than allow Marilyn to be hurt again.

The conversation shifted again quite quickly though, and for the most part Jake listened until Jamie spoke directly to him about Quidditch. Jake answered where possible and listened otherwise, contributing his own thoughts every now and again, but really trying not to over do it. He had a feeling from earlier conversations that the Quidditch world was not looked upon fondly in this household, no matter how well Jake may have done for himself in that career.

The veal had arrived on the table, and in all honesty, Jake had begun to relax. Everything seemed to be going nicely, the conversation was light, and it felt like everyone was starting to accept him. Even if it was much too slowly for Jake's liking. It seemed he had to prove himself good rather than the opposite in which everyone else worked. Or, at least his own family.

"So, Jacob," Marilyn grimaced, "What are you intentions towards our Marilyn?"

Jake had just put a piece of meat in to his mouth, and begun to chew as the question came. He'd choked on the very same piece only seconds later at the question, needing to take a moment to stop himself from choking and regain his breathing to a somewhat steady pace. Intentions?

Oh Merlin...

He could hear Marilyn protesting beside him, but it sounded as if Evan had won out. Taking a sip of his glass of water, Jake gently laid it down again. There were four people in this room to appease. Five if he counted Marilyn, though they'd agreed on taking things slow. That this was something they wouldn't think about. Now though...

"Marilyn and I haven't spoken about that." Jake told the table, because he didn't dare to look at any of her relatives in that moment, let alone Marilyn. "We are working on the basis of not taking things too quickly. But... my intention is to make your granddaughter happy. What the entails is yet to be seen." Jake summarised, because honestly, past the next weekend he had no clue what was in store for them.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 6:32 pm

"You can rest assured that Marilyn is seen in much the same way by myself, sir." Jake's answer surprised Marilyn slightly, not only because of its content but also by its presentation and it brought a soft smile to her lips that didn't go unnoticed by her grandmother, who thankfully did not comment.

Unfortunately, the established peace simply could not be held. Mari resisted the urge to close her eyes as Jake answered, staring at her plate, biting her lip, but her worry proved unfounded, for Jake's answer could not have been more diplomatic. Eyes wide and a smile on her face, obviously pleased with his answer she gave his hand beside her a quick and gentle squeeze.

"Well that's-"
"A completely adequate answer, Evan" Gwen intervened smoothly, catching her husbands eye. The female head of the family scrutinized Jake where he sat for a moment, then her granddaughter. Apparently appeased enough with what she saw she took a sip from her crystal glass of water and added, "Taking it slow can be an advantage, Lynnie is far too precious to be making rash decisions. "

And that was the end of that. Evan remained quite for the rest of dinner, after agreeing with his wife's statement. Marilyn decided to simply not react at all, that seemed safest. And thus they navigated through dinner with relatively smooth sailing. True, the only ones that actually spoke were Jamie and Gwen, because Felipe had taken to watching Jake since his answer as if he could see if he meant it or not by watching him like a hawk. Which was uncomfortable all around, but not as bad as the beginning had been.

Finally, not soon enough, it was time to go. Marilyn kissed her grandmother goodbye and Gwen even gave Jake a small smile as to say 'you've passed this round'. Felipé shook his hand again wordlessly. Jamie pulled him into a hug, just to throw him off one last time, whispering "You treat her well, Newbury." before releasing him.
Evan only kissed Marilyn on her cheek and whispered, "Ne vous inquiétez pas, ma chérie. C'est pour votre propre bien." at which Mari stiffened and whispered, "Laissez-le tranquille." before moving back to stand with Jake, then following Tippy to the door.

"Tippy hopes Miss Lynnie will come visit her again soon, it is so nice to see Miss Lynnie. And Miss Lynnie has chosen a very pretty suitor indeed. Tippy hopes he will visit again as well"
Tippy giggled and Marilyn smiled fondly, giving Tippy's wrinkled hand a soft squeeze, "I'll visit soon, Tippy."

Holding Jake's hand she looked at him with a look that she hoped conveyed 'Just a few more moments' and apparated them straight into her hallway. From there she gently and quietly let him to the bedroom, breaking the silence only to tell him to give her two minutes. Mari quickly went to her bathroom and shed her dress, magically removing her makeup, the sleek-easy hair potion and her claws. Letting the jewellry fall on the dress that was in its bag where it belonged, her heels next to it. Grabbing only one of Jake's shirts and pulling it on she padded back to her bedroom to sit next to Jake and gently help him get out of the clothes that made him so uncomfortable, her again curly hair fallin into her view slightly as she undid the buttons of his waist coat, not speaking until he did.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:50 am

"A completely adequate answer, Evan"

Jake's eyes looked up slightly towards Marilyn's grandmother, smiling slightly under the knowledge that his answer had been enough for the witch. But more importantly, thankful that she'd stopped her husband from asking more questions. It had been the most honest answer he could give to the group of people, and honestly he hadn't thought it would be an issue. This was 2013 after all.

Jake's eyes didn't move anywhere but his plate after that, instead concentrating on finishing his food. Now he was dreading heading home. What if Marilyn hadn't liked what he'd said? Would she want more? Had that been the real reason for the family to all be here? Jake was digging himself in to a bigger mess as he sat quietly, completely unsure about what had just happened and what was yet to come.

But his plate became more interesting when he could feel he was being watched. It felt like he was being assessed really badly and all the food was only making him feel sick, though Jake promptly corrected himself, not the food, his nerves. Thankfully though everyone left him alone until it was time to go. Marilyn moved to her grandmother first, kissing her on the cheek and leaving Jake uncertain on what to do. The smile he was given was returned timidly before he thanked the witch for his dinner. Thankfully Felipe saved him with a handshake a moment later, and after managing a small goodbye, Jake was pulled in to a hug by Jamie. If tense was before the hug, Jake didn't feel any better after as he looked up slightly to Marilyn's Uncle. "I always do. " Jake managed politely before turning to Evan. Marilyn had already said her goodbyes and it seemed Evan had no intention of helping Jake in to a comfortable goodbye. Instead Jake thanked the man for dinner and told the room as a whole to enjoy the rest of the evening before following Marilyn out of the house.

He didn't notice the small elf that had spoken too much earlier, just following Mari as expected. He was exhausted, so very exhausted, his head was pounding and his shoulders were incredibly tense, but he'd done exactly as the witch beside him had asked. He'd stuck with it, for her. The twist of apparition didn't register until they landed in the familiar smelling flat that almost instantly made Jake relax as Marilyn led him to her room, telling him she'd be back soon. Jake simply nodded, sitting on the side of the bed and putting his head in his hands as he took a few deep breaths. Steadying himself because he'd been breathing shallowly for hours, and his heart rate had been pounding. But as the seconds passed, he could hear it slowing, relaxing in to the familiarity of Marilyn's home where he'd never realised until now felt like a safe haven.

When Marilyn came back in Jake sat up straighter, lowering his hands from his face. He probably looked pathetic, but she really couldn't understand how hard all of that had been. But Mari didn't say a word as she sat beside him, her fingers gently undoing his waistcoat for him as he tried to think of something to say. It took him until Marilyn had gently prized the jacket, waistcoat and his tie from his body for Jake to manage something. "I messed up, didn't I?" The young man asked as his hand moved up to tuck her hair behind her ear, the slight tremor in his hand was going away, but it was still noticeable. Her silence was the only logical reason for him to believe he'd done wrong. Sure, Marilyn wasn't the biggest talker in the world, but she was never silent like this.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 am

It hurt more than Marilyn had thought it would, seeing Jake like this. So she was trying to comfort him, but also give him space at the same time and since she wasn't good at initiating either in the first place she just felt worse and worse every second that passed.

"I messed up, didn't I?" The slight tremor wasn't lost on Mari and her hands went from his shirt to the hand that was gently pushing her hair back, holding it as she leaned her head into it, turning slightly to kiss his palm gently. Still knelt inbetween his legs she looked up at him and shook her head slightly, "No. No you didn't. I'm so so sorry, Jake." Mari whispered, closing her eyes, now tenderly sliding her fingers between his, holding his hand in what she hoped was a comforting gesture.

"You were wonderful."
her free hand cupped his face, "It's not your fault they have the worst way of testing people. They always do this. You should've seen Cassie, Jamie's girlfriend, the first time he brought her to dinner, they tore her apart. And she's one of the kindest people I've ever met." her voice was soft as her fingertips gently stroked the side of his face.

"You did nothing wrong." Marilyn reassured, "Not by me. I can't apologize enough for everything they said. If it helps, the fact that Grandmama smiled is a sign of approval. Jamie...well he's a twat, I love him but he is. He doesn't mean any harm. Abuelo is just overprotective. He'll get used to us." The witch left her grandfather out of the count up, because she was still very unhappy with him and the way he'd acted and she didn't want to make Jake feel worse.

Leaning up to softly kiss him she continued to undress him, but there was nothing even remotely sexual about her actions, she simply wanted him to relax and calm down. "I'm so sorry, Jake." she murmured after she'd removed the shirt, stretching on her knees to wrap her arms around his neck, one hand on his back and one on the back of his head, holding him close.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 12:59 pm

"No. No you didn't. I'm so so sorry, Jake."

Jake felt so confused. How could people be like that if he hadn't done anything wrong? Which by all usual accounts was how his family worked, you only got that treatment when you'd done something wrong. His brow knitted in confusion as he took in their joined hands, Jake not overly sure on what to say to that.

As Marilyn explained that he hadn't done wrong, that her grandmother had shown a sign of approval, that Felipe only wanted to look after her and that Jamie was not to be taken note of, Jake couldn't help but wonder why they were like they were. It made little to no sense. Except that it was their way of looking after Marilyn. Though, honestly, they had the same goal, so why they were... Jake shook his head slightly.

"Your granddad didn't like me." Jake whispered, because it sounded silly when he said it out loud, like a small child complaining that the world wasn't fair.

As she apologised again, undoing the buttons on his shirt, Jake shook his head. "Please stop apologising." He tried, because he really didn't like it when she sounded like that. Yes he was a man of manners, but she hadn't done anything wrong. Nothing at all came to mind, because with Marilyn, he treated her as nothing short of royalty. He respected her, he made sure she was happy, and if she wasn't happy, he went out of his way to make her so.

With Marilyn moving to cuddle him, Jake pulled her closer, holding her firmly to him as took in the cinnamon scent. "Please warn me next time." Jake whispered softly, resting his head on her shoulder with a soft sigh. "Then I might be able to work with the situation better."
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Seeing Jake shake his head Marilyn bit her lip, "They're purebloods. Old, old families. They still have the feeling that they have to test everyone who connects into that family in any way." she shook her head to herself, "I've told them they needn't bother, they don't even know my blood purity and in all honesty the likelihood of my being a pureblood is next to null. But they still do it."

"Your granddad didn't like me."

Mari's thumb stroked the back of his hand as she bit her lip before whispering back, "He...is not important, in this regard. The only peope whose opinion on us I value are you and I. That's it. I promise."

The witch felt a pang when he told her to stop apologizing, because this was after all, all her fault. She couldn't cope with her own family still because she was at fault for its breaking apart, she was the one who wasn't secure enough to tell Jake anything about herself until she was nearly forced to by the undeniable appearance of Felipé. When, she wondered to herself, would she have told Jake? About her family situation? About why she was in a flat alone? About why there were only two other names on the list that weren't his?

Certainly not if he'd asked. And because she couldn't deal with herself he'd suffered tonight.
He spoke to her as he held her close but she didn't speak, again uncharacteristically silent, not answering his request. Just swallowing a lump in her throat that hadn't been there a minute ago. Her mind was running a thousand kilometres a minutes, producing more and more evidence that this was all her fault, that she didn't deserve Jake and honestly what did he even see in her that was worth enduring that hell of an evening?

So slowly their embrace became more him holding on to her than her comforting him, her voice quiet when she spoke again, hesitant.

"Why are you with me? I'm hell." she pulled back, "I'm unstable, I'm horrible company, I'm moody, my family is- Well. You've seen that now. Complicated doesn't even begin- I have PTSD out my ears, rough around the edges doesn't even cover it. My mere survival tore my family apart, and it's still affecting them all. The portions at dinner? Tiny. Because i can't eat more than that. What on earth makes you want to stay with me, I can't even deal with myself. I can't handle myself so I ignore all of my problems until they are either literally at my doorstep or they've gone and hurt someone I care about more than I've cared about anybody and that's just ridiculous in itself because I can't even- how- you, you're well, you're you and you're brilliant, you're kind and you care and I'm just- agh"

She made a vague noise of disgust, just then realising that she was breathing quite heavily after not really breathing at all and everything about her just screamed 'distressed'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Jake listened to the witch explain why her family acted the way they did. He understood to an extent, but that didn't mean he could embrace it. He'd been brought up differently and it was just... too much.

And the way the witch believed he could simply write off the opinion her granddad had made of him as nothing was not something Jake was capable of. He wanted her family to like him, trust him, know that he would look after her. But they hadn't given him the chance, and to be brutally honest, it hurt.

But nothing hurt nearly as much as the way Marilyn's thoughts seemed to explode in front of him. To say he was shocked was probably the biggest understatement of the century. The young man didn't have a clue what he was supposed to say to that. Mari's persona just seemed to change in the blink of an eye, far too quickly in Jake's mind, but he couldn't say that.

As the witch finished, with a small incoherent noise, Jake simply held her close to him. His own fear, and irrational behaviour of the evening devoured by the witch's need for him to reassure her. Jake softly hushed Mari, tucking her hair out of the way and holding her close. Her breathing was much to off in that moment, and he needed her to calm down. "It's okay, just breath, Mari." Jake whispered, kissing her forehead and holding her close as he rocked the two of them gently in what he could only hope would be soothing.

Panicking, that was what she was doing, for Merlin only knew what reason.

"Mari..." Jake whispered after a few moments had passed of him just holding her close to his chest. "There's nothing wrong with you, nor us. And even if there is, none of it matters to me." He whispered softly, his hand drawing soothing circles on her back in the hope of calming her down. "I'm here because I care about you..." The explanation was slightly uncertain, not because he didn't believe the words himself, but because he didn't think it was going to be enough for Marilyn to accept. He wanted to give her an extended answer, tell her that she was perfect, but he doubted that it would help her.

"I came in to your life to help you get through... that. I'm not going to leave because you haven't dealt with it." With that, Jake leant down and carefully pressed his lips to Marilyn's. Brief, and hopeful in getting across the message he intended to, but ultimately showing that even if she couldn't believe him, he believed in himself.

"Don't give up on me." Were the final words he spoke as he pulled away, looking at the witch to see whether it would be enough for her, because Merlin this kind of situation hurt more than he dared to say.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 pm

The next coherent thought Marilyn had came when Jake was gently telling her to breathe and was simply 'No'. No, he's too good. No, this isn't real. No, he doesn't want to be with you as much as you want to be with him. No, don't believe him. No, it's not okay. No no no no no.

"I'm here because I care about you..."
"Why?" she replied, confusion riddling her features, "Why would you care about me this much, I don't understand-" her voice broke but her eyes were dry, thank Merlin she didn't cry easily. "And it's not even your fault you behave perfectly, you're attentive you're sweet, you put yourself last, though you shouldn't because you deserve to be first and I'm not worth it, but- i just-" The witch scrunched up her face in blatant frustration towards herself, "It's not going through to my head. I'm still pleasantly surprised whenever you initiate any kind of contact or affection. And the last thing I ever want is to hurt you but I have and I'm sorry-"

When he kissed her everything just stopped. For a split second it was just Marilyn, taking in the warmth and the minty scent surrounding her and making focusing on Jake. Just Jake. It was so loud in her head but it was like was an anchor to hold on to in the wild whirlwind of her mind. Like someone had pressed the pause button and the world just stopped.

"Don't give up on me."
"I won't." Mari whispered, her eyes closed, "I want you. This. Well, not specifically this, but This" she gestured to their general surroundings, "What we have. I want to believe it, I'm trying." And then she felt herself becoming incoherant and she took another deep breath, eyes closed, waiting for his reaction

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:19 pm

"Why?"

Jake paused for a moment, a moment too long as the witch continued to try to completely throw off everything they'd ever... what he believed they'd achieved. The notion of making her happy that he'd so strongly believed when he'd spoken to Marilyn's granddad was now completely blown from the water. She hadn't believed anything he'd done. Anything he'd said. Marilyn simply placed them as two different entities that clashed with one another because her head didn't see what was truly there.

"I want you. This. Well, not specifically this, but This"

Jake nodded gently, shifting them on to the bed and lying out beside her. He didn't want anything, this was just comfortable, rather than him trying to support her weight at the edge of the bed. It meant he could pull her close to him and try to convey better what he wanted to say, show her.

"Marilyn..." Jake's voice barely broke the silence of the room as he looked at her properly. Whether she met his eyes was her own choice, he couldn't force her. "I don't... You put me in too high an image, I'm not perfect. No where near perfect, but that doesn't matter. I care because you mean a lot to me. You're... my best friend and my girl... girlfriend. We've been through a lot in a very short space of time, supported each other, laughed together, found hobbies together. It's great, so very great. And... I wouldn't want to swap this for anything or anyone in the world. I just..."

Jake paused, closing his eyes momentarily before opening them again. "I just want to know what you want me to do to help you believe that you're perfect to me..." He whispered, opening his eyes once more that had a light glisten in them from where his emotions were getting the better of him, but they wouldn't get any further.

Marilyn needed him and that would come before everything else.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Letting him pull her close on the bed Marilyn opened her eyes and snuggled into his embrace so there was as little space as possible and they could still talk to each other and listened to him telling her she had too high an image of him. And whilst that may be true (It was easy to do, he had the disposition and had been introduced to her life as somewhat of a 'savior' role) to some extent Marilyn was quite aware that he wasn't perfect. But he was brilliant and perfect to her.

Hearing that she meant a lot to him and that he wouldn't trade what they had for anything meant a lot to the witch. True he always tried to show it but now he was reaffirming in the context of her self-doubts and looking in his eyes she felt her chest tighten with emotion. Oh Merlin...

"I just want to know what you want me to do to help you believe that you're perfect to me..."
Marilyn's eyes widened at his words and her heart skipped a beat before she leaned close to him and kissed him soundly, hands on his chest, as if kissing him and being kissed by him could make everything okay. Pulling back ever so slightly for air Marilyn whispered, "I want us to continue like we are; I want you to keep treating me like you do because it's wonderful. It's so comfortable, being with you, I just need to accept that it's real." Mari opened her eyes and again tried to steady her breath.

"I want you to say that again." she whispered, "And I want you to kiss me."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 5:25 pm

The soft kiss to his lips made Jake smile slightly, holding her close to him and responding with his own, soft kiss. Her words of nothing changing from how they were, because she was happy, brought a small smile to Jake's lips. "Nothing's going to change." He assured her softly. "And time was never an issue." He reminded her softly.

"I want you to say that again." she whispered, "And I want you to kiss me."

Sometimes words were necessary, normally, actions spoke louder. But with Marilyn, she needed both, and Jake made a small note of that as she explained to him. Leaning in, Jake pressed a light kiss to her lower lip. "I think..." He started, punctuating it with another small kiss, this time to her top lip. "That you..." The next kiss encompassed both lips this time, a little longer but only marginally. "Are perfect."

The final kiss was longer, heartfelt, slow and showing her that there was no rush, and nothing she could ask for that he would deny her. Telling her again and again would not worry him, so long as she was happy, because that was all that would ever matter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meeting the Grandparents   Meeting the Grandparents Empty

Back to top Go down

Meeting the Grandparents
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next