Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Curiosity at its Best (Mari)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  Empty
PostSubject: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Tess was glowing; she just felt happy that everyone was enjoying their time. Seeing people with dates, grinning, and spending time together did warm something in her. Still, despite everything, she was a bit of a wallflower, only dancing to be polite, and making conversations with strangers. She was only used to doing things formally, at least from the etiquette she was taught.

But tonight, she felt a sense of hyper awareness. Her eyes traveled around the room carefully taking in every face as she could, and subtly moving around the room. She had no date; she had figured that if she wasn't going to bring the person she wanted, she would rather be alone. Her mind wandered briefly to him, only for her to push those thoughts away.

Tess figured the best way to actually get her mind off of him was to play her favorite hobby: people watching. She liked observing people, how they interacted, and so forth and at the moment she was curious about a new development. Jake and a new girl. She had heard rumors but ignored them since they weren't always to be believed, but what was clear that her favorite professor was recently single, and from the looks of it, it was either partially true, or he was healing nicely. She remembered when she was enamored with Jake, in her childish sort of way her third year. The thought of a famous Quidditch player dancing with her once had her floating on a cloud, but once she got to know him, he had grown to more than that: a friend. And seeing him happy, made her smile. Because despite her cynicism about those things never happening to her, she wished it on everyone else.

She drank her glass of punch carefully, taking advantage to have some alone time. Everything was happening and while she was happy it was also daunting. Once a wallflower always a wallflower, but she always took it in stride.

Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Marilyn had told Jake that she'd needed to check perimiter again and would return to him soon, and that was all true, but she also needed a breather after that dance. She needed to clear her head. Refocus utterly on her prime directive, which was the security of these people. The people who were all around her laughing and having fun. People she had once been able to identify with, connect with. In truth, the person she had been before her abduction would have adored a party like this, she would have worn something cute and flirted with everyone she met, she would have had stars in her eyes and a laugh on her lips.
Instead the nearly twenty-year-old was in dark apparel that accentuated the warning vibe she gave off, a vibe that made you know she was dangerous and somewhat detatched from the rest of the world, patrolling inconspicuously, pretending to be just Jake's date to the ball while she worked undercover on security. The aspiring Auror only had a laugh on her lips with one person. And that person was the one she needed to get away from for just...five minutes, to clear her head.  The light from the chandeliers highlighted the silver glimmer of the metal-toned powder dusted along her cheekbones and decollté and the necklace of two fierce tigers resting on her neck, also highlighting her scars as she surveyed the area, grabbing a flute of orange juice from a passing waiter to appear more normal. But then she noticed someone standing a bit away from the party and decided to investigate.
"Not much for mingling?"
she asked with a small smile. There was no point in hiding her wrecked voice, the scars gave her away anyhow. And she'd promised Jake.

Marilyns Outfit
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Tess took a sip of her drink, enjoying the refresher and a good excuse to stay near the wall. She had taken Mary's consideration when it came to the music, apparently a mixture of muggle genres that she had never heard in her life. She was never fond of music other than classical, from her own violin playing to seeing an orchestra. Mycroft would only play his Stradivarius and the house oozed of aristocracy. It was both stifling and comforting in an odd paradoxical sort of way.

It was amusing to see how purebloods reacted to the music, from confusion to disdain on their face. It amused her greatly. She took it in stride, just wondering why people would do some strange dance movements. She was in the midst of mulling new information over when someone spooked her.  

"Not much for mingling?"

Looking beside her, she was surprised to not have noticed the young woman at all. She didn't even hear her when she stopped to look at her. She smiled shyly, her cheeks flushing at how her body had impulsively jerked. The first thing she noticed was that the woman she was admiring as she danced with Jake had now come towards her. Briefly she panicked thinking that the girl had noticed, but she seemed kind enough.

"It is a bit overwhelming with so many people" she admitted with a smile to match Mari's. "I'm Tess, nice to meet you"

The girl was even more beautiful up close, almost shockingly beautiful. To her hair, to her dress, she definitely looked like a girl Jake would take interest in, and she smiled at the thought. Her voice made her curious, it was so unique, new to her ears, but in no way unappealing.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 pm

The witch jumped slightly and Marilyn scrutinized her slyly, expression unchanging, but she semed to have simply been in her own world and not doing anything shifty.
"It is a bit overwhelming with so many people"

"Yeah, it is, isn't it. Not my sort of thing either. Oh, you're Tess, the Head Girl? Mary mentioned you earlier. You did a good job, it's a beautiful setup." The woman nodded at the area surrounding them, genuinly impressed.
"I'm Marilyn Caldwell, Mari for short. I'm here with Jake- Newbury. I'm an ex-Belladonna so he thought I might like to come." she smiled through the little lie smoothly. But the whole point of being undercover was, well, nobody knowing there was Auror Security at a school ball.
The girl across from her seemed innocent, in respect to Marilyn's job. But she didn't want to go back, just yet, and the girl seemed nice. After all she wasn't staring in a rude way or terrified of Mari so that semed like a winner.
The party around them continued in full swing and the aspiring auror was almost grateful for the little bubble they were in at the edge of festivities.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 7:52 pm

"Yeah, it is, isn't it. Not my sort of thing either. Oh, you're Tess, the Head Girl? Mary mentioned you earlier. You did a good job, it's a beautiful setup."

Tess smiled slightly at the mention of Mary; she was a nice person, and really thought that if she had gone to Salem, the girl would be a close ally. She blushed lightly at the compliment of how the ball turned out. To be quite honest she was surprised how it meshed. Looking at things and planning was one thing, but seeing it work was another and it was working. She was happy about that.

"Thank you, but Mary and I got help from all the professors, which we are grateful for" she replied.

"I'm Marilyn Caldwell, Mari for short. I'm here with Jake- Newbury. I'm an ex-Belladonna so he thought I might like to come."

Her eyes widened at the name. Tess had remembered reading it in the newspaper, about her. Her brother mentioning that she had once been his student and was shocked at the imprisonment in the first place. He was so angry when he had heard of the torturing, running to the Ministry to make sure it never happened again. She remembered thinking that the girl was probably very tall, very strong and very intimidating. And yes, the girl was taller than Tess, and yes she looked fit, and yes she was intimidating, but if you saw her walking down the street she was just an attractive girl, you'd never know.

"You're amazing" Tess breathed out.

Once she caught herself, she blushed immediately at her outburst and covered her mouth in surprise. She always wanted to meet the witch, admire someone so heroic but now, now she'd somewhat made a fool out of herself.

"I-I'm sorry" she said laughing softly at her embarrassment, "I just remember you from the papers. You're just...your accomplishments are...I'm glad you're well"

She lowered her gaze, her lashes fluttering against her cheek as she remember why she wasn't meant to talk to new people. She probably looked like some stupid kid, instead of someone who wanted to be as knowledgeable as the girl beside her. She now knew why Jake at least took interest, Marilyn, Mari, she was one of a kind : Special.

"I'm glad you came with Jake, he's a great person" she said hoping to redeem herself, "He's the best professor I've had" aside from her brother, "and he's a great friend. I'm glad y-you're both enjoying yourselves"

Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

"You're amazing"
Marilyn nearly choked on her orange juice.
"I just remember you from the papers. You're just...your accomplishments are...I'm glad you're well"

"
"No- No don't be sorry."
The witch smiled, composing herself, "I don't really get a lot of reactions like that. Most just think I'm crazy, really. I appreciate it, that's very nice to hear." She grinned, her cheek dimples crinkling in the scar that ran from her temple down her cheekbone to her jaw. "Thank you." She said in earnest, grinning.
The way the young witch looked at her made Marilyn feel an inkling of pride, a sensation she had generally shut out when her 'accomplishment' was brought up. The witch usually associated her experience with terror, fear and weakness, rarely to never actually taking into consideration what it was that she'd managed to survive.

"I'm sure Jake'll be really glad to hear that. Are you enjoying yourself? Professor help or not, this is a grand looking party and you should be proud." she smiled, hoping the girl would feel less nervous then. It wasn't often (never. It was never.) that Marilyn was in a conversation where she felt fine and relaxed. But it was because of whom she was talking to. And something about her seemed familiar.
"Say, do you have a sibling in Salem?"
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Tess had to admit that she was raised in a bubble. A bubble that made her have a role in society as a wife, good mother, and pretty face. She just wanted more; she wanted to be like the men who's shadow she was behind. She had many heroes, one being her brother, but most heroes were men. If she had to be honest, meeting someone like Mari made her think that a woman could be as equal in a position as men. Caldwell was a well known pureblood name, and even if the girl wasn't of breeding, the power she held at such a young age, the legacy was impressive to her.

"No- No don't be sorry." The witch smiled, composing herself, "I don't really get a lot of reactions like that. Most just think I'm crazy, really. I appreciate it, that's very nice to hear."

"How are you crazy if you were smart and stealthy enough to accomplish that? I sense a hint of misogyny" Tess murmured softly. "But if I was insensitive I apologize"

As the girl smiled, Tess mirrored hers and blushed prettily. She rarely smiled so much, and even more so felt so comfortable with another woman. The one girl who always understood her was Rhian, and even then, the girl hadn't spoken to her in a year. She forgot how nice it was to just talk, not about how horrible life was, not about baggage, but about accomplishments.

"I'm sure Jake'll be really glad to hear that. Are you enjoying yourself? Professor help or not, this is a grand looking party and you should be proud."

"Say, do you have a sibling in Salem?"

Tess laughed softly and sipped her drink. She was glad that some recognition was given to hard work. Especially by a woman like Mari. The girl wasn't the traditional beauty, at least by her markings, but Tess saw enough in the girl to know it didn't matter. She was beautiful, by her brain, by her accomplishments, and by her eyes that dazzled.

"I do I suppose...a brother. Older" she drawled, "Mycroft? He's my brother, I'm the youngest of the family, the baby you could say."
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:53 pm

"I sense a whallop of misogony, so really, no need to apologize." she reassured the young girl and scanned the room again, looking for Scarlett to see if she was coping.
Satisfied she listened to the girl while she looked finally looking back at her. Tess was a very prtty young girl and from her demeanor her breeding and upbringing were noticable, Marilyn was familiar with it because her mother Faith had been raised the same way. However it was somewhat paintful a comparison to dwell on she she quickly moved on to her next thought. And for the first time she realised what the girl must see in her, a role model of sorts, and the idea struck her with a ferocity that nearly rendered her speechless. But she hid it with an encouraging smile and the new desire to not let down this strange girl she'd just met moments ago. Perhaps it was her own lack of a role model (besides Wonder Woman) growing up. The witch was beginning to realise that her escape had taken on a whole new meaning for some, such as Tess.
"Mycroft? He's my brother, I'm the youngest of the family, the baby you could say."

"Mycroft? I had a potions professor named Mycroft, it was my favorite subject. But I haven't seen him since...well. Probably doesn't remember me either way. And I'm the youngest as well, we seem to have a lot in common." The witch smiled again into her glass as she drannk.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Tess smiled softly at the older girl. She had a tough skin, and it seemed the injustice in certain aspects of career choices meant nothing. She knew why the girl was there, Mycroft told her the plan more than once, and she was surprised that two women were in charge of the main ballroom. She grinned thinking of how despite it being a man's world in every aspect of the Ministry, the two leading Aurors-in-training were woman.

She noticed that Marilyn was studying her, and she let her, not being phased by it. She was always analyzed, whether it was for a misplaced strand of hair, to the dress to be too revealing, too prudish, it didn't matter. But wasn't a critical eye on Marilyn as she studied her, but the way that Tess herself did as she studied people too.

"Mycroft? I had a potions professor named Mycroft, it was my favorite subject. But I haven't seen him since...well. Probably doesn't remember me either way. And I'm the youngest as well, we seem to have a lot in common."

She laughed softly as it seemed she had missed the point of her comment. It was a genuine laugh, not mocking but a bubble of amusement that was released from her lips.

"Mycroft is my brother, the same potions professor, Headmaster at Hogwarts, the head of the Auror department. A jack of all trades, overachieving older brother." she said shaking her head amused, " And he does remember you. He said you were, always speaking highly of you once the news came out of what happened. I know why you're here, and I'm glad we're under your hands"
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 am

Mari's eyes widened at the girls explenation and she smiled, "Oh? Well that is wonderful to hear, you're just full of good things for me, tonight! Oh you know?" The witch's voice dropped to a more hushed tone and she casually looked around to make sure no one was listening. "Don't worry, my partner and I will make sure you are all safe. And Thank you for saying that. Seems like I'm saying that quite often to you tonight, I must sound repetitive, my apologies." Mari's smile was soft as she added, "I sure am glad I ran into you, Tess."
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 3:56 am

Mari's reaction made her chuckle at how surprised she seemed. Tess knew that it was a danger being part of the attack, and having to take responsibilities of not just her own life but other ones. It was a heavy burden and she wondered if she ever wanted a career on that. But either way if she didn't want to be an Auror there were two other choices: a healer, or a housewife. She knew that in her family history, women were at the home, cute domesticated women who did nothing but lounge on expensive things and spend money. While lounging was appealing on a long day she could never imagine herself doing something so boring. She wanted adventure, travel, to really life, not be stuck in some bird cage.

"Oh? Well that is wonderful to hear, you're just full of good things for me, tonight! Oh you know?"

At her comment, she looked up at her and laughed softly.

"I try to be" she replied smiling.

"Don't worry, my partner and I will make sure you are all safe. And Thank you for saying that. Seems like I'm saying that quite often to you tonight, I must sound repetitive, my apologies." Mari's smile was soft as she added, "I sure am glad I ran into you, Tess."

Tess nodded at her reassurance, it was helpful knowing there were other people more experienced to do this. She would defend students with tooth and nails if she had to; she didn't want to see death anymore.

"I'm glad too" she replied honesty, "Also glad you're Jake's date." looking over she waved at him as he was talking to people, "He looks happy, I'm happy for the two of you"
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 4:09 am

Talking to Tess had seemed to really help the witch not only feel more confident but also clear her head. She was on duty, she had a job to do and she couldn't let something like confused feelings get in the way. (Not that her feelings were confused at all, she was just a friend so that whole ordeal earlier and the dance didn't really bother her all that much, not at all) The witch turned her attention back to Tess as the girl spoke again.
"He looks happy, I'm happy for the two of you"
Mari's eyes widened slightly, "Oh no we're not- I mean he's my best friend. That's all." she looked over at him and smiled but there was the tiniest part in her that wasn't sure it was true. What she did know was that she would never jeopardize her relationship with Jake as it was. She needed him, no matter how.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 4:19 am

"Oh no we're not- I mean he's my best friend. That's all."

Tess wasn't a social butterfly by any means; she knew she could be awkward, a bit heavy on sarcasm when she did speak, but often times there were people that were so closed off, that she could trust them. Was it a twisted way to see the world? To only connect to people who seemed just as cracked or skewed as she could sometimes be? Perhaps? But those people were the ones that Tess knew really lived. They weren't in their delusions of happiness, they had tasted life. And while she was in her little bubble, still being a child in the eyes of the law, she knew her bubble wasn't a walk in the park.

But at the moment she studied Marilyn, really did and felt herself shaking her head at the older girl's delusion. The way she looked at Jake, was the way she always wanted someone to look at her. Ben had done that once, when their eyes would meet and he would give her a look that spoke more than anything. And while her fairytale would never come true, she could see something growing between the two.

When Azalea and Jake had broken up, she had been surprised, they always looked so in control, always well, but that was in a classroom. She did feel guilty for calling Jake a friend, but never making an effort to talk to him outside the class. He might be her professor but something in her made her think he was a big teddy bear. And he had looked so..unlike him for a while, and she felt bad, too shy to reach out, and too inexperienced to really say anything. But the way he held himself now, it was relaxed and she wondered just how much the woman beside her helped him out.

"Well then you're a good friend, you both looked so happy dancing. I wish I had a best friend who did that" she said mild teasing, but part of her serious.

She'd been told by her brother once, when she was little what love was. He had told her that your true love was a person that didn't only love you, but was your best friend who you told more intimate things than your other best friends. She always carried that with her to this day. Looking for her best friend that made her a better person.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 4:37 am

Watching the man unquestionably for a moment Marilyn reflected for a moment. 'Too soon..' he'd said... The witch didn't dwell on the fact that that seemed the only reason that they wouldn't...be what they were not, she was thinking about the reason for the 'too soon'.
She hadn't really known Azalea. True azalea had been the first to see her after, taking her to the hospital from the streets after her escape, but it had been Jake who'd visited, spent time with her and helped her get it together. Before her imprisonment she'd perhaps spoken to the girl politely but never really known anything about her. Except that she was with Jake for a long time and Marilyn knew the breakup had hurt him, she wasn't blind.
But he never talked a bout it and given the oddness of tonight Marilyn was almost glad, she wasn't sure how she'd feel. She'd listen, of course, but perhaps not without some degree of discomfort.

"Well then you're a good friend, you both looked so happy dancing. I wish I had a best friend who did that"
Mari laughed, "Really, just friends." She smiled encouragingly, "So there's no one special? You've got a good head on your shoulders, and you're very pretty, I wouldn't worry, Tess. They're coming."
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 am

"So there's no one special? You've got a good head on your shoulders, and you're very pretty, I wouldn't worry, Tess. They're coming."

Tess shook her head and laughed. Romance was the farthest thing on her mind, it had burned her and seared her enough to go in a corner and lick her wounds clean. Having someone special meant a lot of sacrifices and hurting, and she wasn't sure if Ben had been love, but it had stung.

'You're only sixteen.' her mind reminded her 'what the hell do you know about love? And her subconscious had a point. She didn't know. It was maybe a passing fancy, something that she should even think about. She was just starting her life, hell she hadn't even graduated, perhaps some time to even learn who she was mattered to her more than anything.

"Thank you" she replied shyly not used to being called pretty aloud, "But I don't think I want someone trapping me. You know?" turning over to the girl she smiled "I'm really glad you're here."
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 5:08 am

"But I don't think I want someone trapping me. You know? I'm really glad you're here"
The witch pondered on that for a moment, thinking back on her own experiences, "Then..." she started off, eyes darting back out to her friend on the dance floor for only a spit second, "You'll find someone who will give you the strength to be free." Marilyn sipped her orange juice and smiled, glacing at the girl sideways as they watched the floor. Though they probably didn't see the same things when they looked out, there was an understanding between them of the other. When the auror in training lookd out she saw as if her vision was divided. Her main view was objective, scanning for suspicious behavior, marking possible exit routes for students and guests, keeping track of where Scarlett was so they could act quickly. And the other perspective was personal. Checking to see where Jake, and by extension obviously where Victoria was, and thinking about how to get them out quickly, should the moment call for it. And when she'd leave she'd add Tess to that list.
"yes," the woman agreed softly, "I am glad you're here, too."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity at its Best (Mari)    Curiosity at its Best (Mari)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Curiosity at its Best (Mari)
Page 1 of 1