Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)

Go down 
+2
Henley Faye
Azalea Harrington
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Dear class,

Firstly I apologize for not being there in person but lets face it, you'd rather see a note pinned to the blackboard than a teacher's face any day right?

On a more serious note, due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts, I will not be able to see you today but that does not exempt you from work. Queue groaning.

So today, for a possible 30 points, please take a seat and compose an essay on (1) species of herb you would like to grow in your own personal habitat (it could be a garden, underwater, underground or any place you feel said species would thrive in) and then document how you would deal with the specimen if it was deprived of one of its essential growing ingredients (sunlight, water, soil, room). Conclude your essay with how your plant will fare, whether it lives or dies and any personal thoughts you may have on the plant's chances when deprived of its basic necessities.

Once you've finished your essay, please place it in the black file on my desk and it will be forwarded to me for grading.

Thank you and good luck.

~Azalea
Back to top Go down
Henley Faye
Nightshade Prefect
Nightshade Prefect
Henley Faye

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 am

Henley walked into Herbology and didn't see the Professor anywhere, she was about to leave when she saw something taped up on the board. She groaned and walked over it and began to read. "Unfucking believable" she mumbled. She took a seat and grabbed a quill and paper and began to write.

If I was to grow a habitat I would do an underwater one. It would be much cooler and better then the other ones. It would have all the water it needs and it has a better chance at surviving then the ones on land. I wouldn't really deal with it if it was deprived if sunlight (which it won't be getting) I would just whatever happens to it happen. In the end the plant would probably die because it won't have all the necessary things it would need. And that concludes my thoughts on my habitat I would grow.

When Henley was finished with her paper she got up and placed it into the black file on her desk before packing up her stuff and leaving.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Victoria skipped down to Herbology, as happy as always. The news of Azalea and Jake splitting had not changed Victoria's opinion on the Herbology professor, but it didn't matter as she opened the Herbology greenhouse door. Professor Azalea was not there, but the note on the board explained why. Victoria didn't waste any time in getting to work, pulling out her pink quill and a piece of parchment.

Sunflowers

Sunflowers, or Helianthus, is the topic of my essay today. The sunflower is commonly found in North America and is primarily used as a food source. However, it can also be used as an ornamental type of plant too. The sunflower is used to temperate climates, which is a factor we must take in to account before starting the experiment.

Sunflowers follow light, so taking this away from the plant is going to be hugely threatening to it's growth. However, it should be noted that though the sunflower is said to "follow the sun" it doesn't actually, it is argued that it is following the Earth's orbit, as it will still bend, even if placed in the dark.

For my hypothetical experiment, I am therefore going to take away the soil from the plant (even though this is mean!). Leaving the plants in a tray lined with cotton wool, I will see if the plants can manage to grow if both watered and put in sunlight. They will have plenty of space, so that there is no restriction on plants.

After watering them, we can leave them in the sunlight to grow.

It is likely from this experiment that only a few, or even none, of the plants will grow in the circumstances. This is because they will be lacking in the key nutrients. Any plants that do manage to grow will be very weak and likely not last as long as sunflowers planted in soil.

Personally, I hope we're not going to have to do this for real, because it isn't nice. But hypothetically, it's a good task!

~ Victoria Newbury

With her essay done, Victoria moved to the front, setting her essay in the file like they'd been told before moving back to her seat. She would wait around, in case anybody needed a little help with their essays.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Jaymes
Graduate
Graduate
Charlie Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 am

Charlie entered the Herbology classroom and saw that there was no one there besides her, she thought for a second she had the wrong room until she saw a note taped on the board and decided to get to work. Charlie took a seat and pulled out a quill and a piece of parchment and began her work.

If I had a chance to grow a habitat I would do it in a garden, I would have many different kinds of flowers like lilies, roses, daisies, ect. It would be a beautiful garden that would get enough sunlight and I would water them when they need it. The one thing it would not be in would be a room. You should never keep beautiful things hidden, they're meant to be shown to the world. If my garden ever died I would just plant more seeds in the ground and wait for it to grow once again. I would make sure that.I have everything I need for my garden so nothing really terrible happens

- Charlie Jaymes

After she was finished her paper she put her paper in the file before packing up and leaving.
Back to top Go down
Diem Malik
Graduate
Graduate
Diem Malik

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 am

Diem was a little disappointed when she walked inside the Herbology room and saw the note. But she got down to work anyway. The Nightshade pulled out her red quill and a piece of parchment and began her assignment at hand.

I would grow a vegetable garden inside of a greenhouse. You can never be to care with your vegetables, I'd have everything that it would need, I'd open the windows for the sunlight tp stream in and make my wonderful plants grow, enough water for it everyday, soil so it can stay rooted, and it would already be somewhere safe so no animals can ruin my healthy treats. I would have thought of everything and I know for a fact that even if some died before they were even ready I'd still grow more and save my other vegetables from the same fate.

~ Diem Malik

When she finished her work of art she stood up and made her way to Azalea's desk and placed the paper in the file. When finished with that she went back to where she previously sat and began to pack up her things that she had taken out of her bag. The Prefect than made her way out of the classroom.
Back to top Go down
Jareth Faowind
Belladonna Seventh Year
Belladonna Seventh Year
Jareth Faowind

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 3:30 am

Jareth walked in to Herbology and saw the note. Smiling he sat down, he started writing his essay.

Essay Topic. Potatoes.

I am a happy potato, telling you of my life. If I were to be planted anywhere, it would be in the ground in rich soil. Preferably in someone's well looked after garden.

However with my life, it was not the case. My gardener, was an old man. He loved his garden, but unfortunately he was getting so old he couldn't look after it anymore. Originally I was planted with love, and tenderness. I was well looked after, until my gardener had a stroke and wasn't able to look after me anymore. It wasn't just me either, it was the whole garden, we are like a village. Us plants.

For a while it didn't matter that our gardener wasn't there, us potatoes are a hardy plant. When he first had his stroke we were okay. It rained regularly so we had water, and the soil we were in was very rich in food for us.

Two months after our gardener had his stroke, our home went wild. We hadn't been fertilised, or looked after. And our enemy, the WEEDS came forth. Sending their attack. Soon us Potatoes were choking in their grips. It was horrible. They took our food, and they took our water. It was summer then, we didn't have any rain. The few bits of droplets that fell in the morning were taken by the weeds. It was horrible. Many of us died, us potatoes. Some never got to become mature Potatoes, dying very young. The others that survived for a while, they got burnt by the sun. Starved for food and water. It was horrible, I hated it every day.

Finally when most of us were dead, a new gardener came. She took us living ones out of the ground, then..She took us to her kitchen cupboard. We thought we were safe, the few of us that were left. Until when she started taking a few of us at a time and not returning us. We wondered where they went. Never really knowing. Until it was my turn. I had survived the old mans garden, the weeds, the dehydration, the pollution. All to be skinned, then boiled alive. Then for good measure the woman mashed us all up and added body pieces of onions. She called us "Mashed Potato with Onions". I died that day, but I didn't feel anything. Because well. I was a potato, not a living thing that could actually think or feel.

This essay was written by the one, the only. Jareth Faowind. Wink
Hope you liked it Miss Azalea!!! I should get bonus points for creativity because I am a majestical potato.

Jareth finished his essay and handed it in, he had done what had been asked. Or at least his version of it, he sat and looked around to see if there were any good looking girls in the class.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 1:12 am

Class Closed

Faye, Henley : 30 pts
Faowind, Jareth: 30 pts
Jaymes, Charlie: 30pts
Malik, Diem: 30 pts
Newbury, Victoria: 30 pts

TOTAL:

Belladonna: 30 pts
Nightshade: 60 pts
Wormwood: 60 pts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)
Page 1 of 1